Monitor Isolation review

Girl Punk

Green Gizmo Isolation
Monitor and component Isolation I.D.S. (Isolation Damper System)

I'm building a new studio and after picking out monitors I came across these and am trying them out and here is what I think:

Performance: Smooth fast reacting movement while still being really stable. My monitors are comfortably floating on bearing floating in a gooey like rubber.

They are adjustable by taking out some bearings but I didn't think I needed to, but the option is nice to have.

Did they make a difference? Yes they did and it was well worth it. Well built and I love the way they look under my monitors.
I am getting a pair of new Focal speakers and just used my old Event speakers as a test and the difference was very nice.

Pros: They do their job and they do it very well. Adjustable for sensitivity and balance. Not a chunk of cheap foam.
Surface vibration was reduced and the results were noticeably different. Much less surface contact then typical isolation devices.

Cons: takes a little more time to position. Expensive but worth it.($395 for a set of 8) No angle option.

I used Primacoustic and auralex and a rigid block of foam never made any sense as an isolation device. They don't move and foam does not make a good viscoelastic material.
Why is this the only industry that uses foam for isolation? From medical to industrial its rubber, springs, metal or magnets?
I am a microbiologist by day and the isolation platforms we use are not blocks of foam :)
This product just made sense to me. Now I have to just decide to keep the black or the silver :)

You can check out some other pics on my flicker:
Flickr: Galerie de Recording Noodler

Attachments

• Green Gizmo IDS elite speaker isolation black 2.jpg
    Green Gizmo IDS elite speaker isolation black 2.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Green Gizmo IDS elite speaker isolation silver 1.jpg
    Green Gizmo IDS elite speaker isolation silver 1.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 22
I have rubber isolation pads under my monitors. Do they do the job? I dunno, but its what I had! They are cut from pieces of a sheet that looks like this

Anything is better then direct contact to a desk. But if I'm willing to drop a a couple of grand on a set of monitors call it pride but I just can't bring my self to put them on what looks like a rubber floor mat :)

Back