monitor interference

neonblue

Hi... I am a newbie setting up my first attempt at home recording.

I have a new 27" iMac and have purchased a Saffire LE audio interface with 2 Yorkville YSM2P powered monitors (which they say are shielded). When I set everything up the sound was great but the screen (display) on my iMac started to shutter and get graphic anomalies and would flash black every once and awhile. The monitors are within 1 to 2 feet of the iMac. It does not happen when the monitors are off or I move them much further away under the desk (but the sound then is poor under the desk). I don't really have any place to move the monitors given where I am set up where the sound will be good. So 2 quick questions:
1) Does anyone know what material I could use to set up between the iMac and the speakers to form a shielded buffer?
2) Why would shielded monitors do this to an LCD? I have heard of unshielded speakers affecting CRT's and hard disks - but an LCD?? I have never heard of this.

Thanks

That is weird - I just held some strong magnets up to my two LCD monitors (a Viewsonic and an Apple) and it did what you'd expect - nothing.

Just for kicks you could try some tin foil as a shield and see what happens. Maybe ground the tin foil to something with a wire.

Back