Monitor hummmmmmmmmm...

sludgehammer

Hey has anyone run into the problem of computer monitor related noise coming thru on yer audio stuff? It's like a hum but it goes away when I turn the monitor off.

Yeah, my guitar pickups looove to pick up monitor noise. If I turn sideways I can cut down on it. Other than that, distance or the off switch are the only other solutions I've found.

Is the monitor power cable or video cable up against any of your audio cables? Or, are any of the audio cables near the monitor itself? If so, put some distance between them, say 6 to 12 inches. If that don't work, maybe you have a preamp to close to the monitor. The noise is most likely being injected before a preamp (effect, mixer, soundcard) linein.

these kind of problems suck - try everything! good luck!

sludgehammer said:
Hey has anyone run into the problem of computer monitor related noise coming thru on yer audio stuff? It's like a hum but it goes away when I turn the monitor off.

I've run into that problem with the hum from my monitor coming through my guitar. It only happens every once in a while. One thing to look for is if you have any flouresent light fixtures nearby. We had one about 15 feet from where we were recording, and we didn't even think to turn it off, when we did it cured a little of the problem.
In the control room I'm building now we have it designed so the monitor will be about 3 feet from the mixer and any rack mounted hardware. Hopefuly it works. :)

All these answers are good things to check out. Your monitor may not have very good RF shielding. Some people I know try using aluminun foil or things like cookie tins to shield it, but distance is the only thing I know that works.

To eliminate the chance that there is some sort of ground fault hum going on, make sure that all you devices are plugged into the same grounded source, i.e. power strip from the same outlet. If you are like me and have 2 million power plugs, at least make sure they are all the same number of "hops" (outlets) away from your Circuit box. I'm no electrician but that seems to work.

Back