monitor experience or suggestions?

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Hi all. I did the search, but ended up in the pic's of women vs political bullshit thread. Thanks, that cost me an hour. but it was a good hour, might i take the oppertunity to thank for the redhead that was compared to maria? If Maria looked like that, then DAMN that Jozef, what an idiot.

Anyway,

budget of max 2k !

contenders; Dyanudio BM5 with sub
blue sky system one
event asp8

I ofcourse looked at the others too but they somehow didn't appeal... Was I wrong?

Yes, I would like the barefoot but even one was not within budget. I gotta stick with the budget.

Much appreciated.

get the Blue Sky System One....I never get to hear HR reviews on that one, that'd be great. :D

I like the acoustic suspension cabinets. designed in sats and sub. lets face it you'll probably want a sub anyway, sooner or later.

yes go get the Blue Sky and post pictures, mixes and a detailed review.
Thanks

Last edited:
hehehe, i did audition them. the sound was clear, detailed, lots of bass but not too much. the stereo imagine was great. the sub integrated seamlessly. so yup, i'm biased. but then i went to the (gear)slutz and well, they have a way of making you think you really NEED something else. like the barefoot MM27 that is the bomb. but unfortunately only 4000,- more then my budget. :mad: They called the bluesky tireing, hyped in the mdrange and said it didn;t translate well. well, to be honest, some said that.

oh boy i hate opnions that are not like mine :p

Thanks though. what do you use then?

I started a thread here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=194913

I had a little less of a budget, but I wasn't interested in a sub. I went w/ the Dynaudios. I still have them, and I'm still enjoying them. I've found they almost sound a little too good, but I can hear everything, even the low (granted it doesn't pound or anything, but it is very clear down there, and I can make proper decisions regarding bass guitar/kick). I have been learning them, and my mixes have been translating well.

of course the Dyn are a safe bet. i never saw much bad press on those.
Funny, before I lost my spending cash I was at the DYN BM5A or the Blue Sky's too.

my advice is get something soon before the car breaks down or something! doh! then it'll be the $300 range!

hehehe. thank you all.
I did think of flipping a coin, but now I guess a trip to the music store might also be a good idea. Thanks for sharing though. I'll let ya know what I ended up with

:)

another SUB vote

its going to be Blue Skys.....designed in sub, acoustic suspension cab= tighter bass, less fake rumble from the port "poofing" sub-low air.

RECORDING mag this month or last has a pro-Subwoofer article.

Hear the sub, checkout the 20hz on up....don't just "cut off" everything below 80hz! thats for the 60's-70's and NS10's.

COOLCAT said:
its going to be Blue Skys.....designed in sub, acoustic suspension cab= tighter bass, less fake rumble from the port "poofing" sub-low air.

RECORDING mag this month or last has a pro-Subwoofer article.

Hear the sub, checkout the 20hz on up....don't just "cut off" everything below 80hz! thats for the 60's-70's and NS10's.
I agree with the last bit of your intervention, which states that you have to hear down low as much as possible.
But let's not forget that with subs, you have to tweak the thing with an RTA to make sure that there is a seemless transition between your monitors cutoff and the subs, which is a hard thing to do and a long process.
But even then, since the sub and the satellites are running off seperate power amps, there is (inevitably) some phase difference between the bass signal at the crossover point and below, which is really hard to figure out and correct, even with an RTA.
For all those reasons, I advocate against subs and against nearfields and recommend far fields with at least 12' woofers. This way you have great low end extension and all the transition/phase problems have been taken into account by the speaker designer.

Might go with mid field / near field combo.

Best fo both worlds. need to work out the finances though.

I'll keep you posted.

well...if money and size of room is no object.....
go ALL the WAY and build ABBEY ROAD STUDIO with SOffits and EVERYTHING!! wow!!
:D

IMO, Subs are a great tool and can bring in the low freq range many nearfields can't produce.

as far as phase-angles, I can't hear it on any of the systems I have.
and apparently its not that noticeable as almost everyone wiuth a decent HiFi/Home theater has a SUB these days.
Although, I can "hear" a difference. I had a JBL sub not being used.
It doesn't have fine resolution for the volume (during the RTA messing around it was noticed).

Dewd, i know specs and stuff, gear head banter. But its like 720P and 1080i HDTV signals.............I doubt any human could tell.
I can only speak for myself. (don't doubt per the test gear 1080i is better, but can a human tell? thats what I'm wrestling with.)

Last edited:
Back