Monitor Connections

fenderguy4life

Quick question. Is it alright to connect two audio interfaces to my M-Audio Monitors? One interface would be from one computer using TRS connections and the other would be RCA connections. If it doesn't bother anything, could I also run both signals at once?

I wouldn't have thought, but maybe it's possible:

Alesis BX-8 Manual said:
The signal of the XLR INPUT is summed together with the
TRS INPUT through a balanced input amplifier, allowing both inputs to be used
simultaneously.

As they say, RTFM.

I'm testing two systems. Side by side and only have one pair of monitors that happen to have the exact speaker inputs needed for each audio device. I'm just wondering if it'd hurt anything to keep both inputs plugged into the monitors while testing (and perhaps for good). Then, wondering some more if running both interfaces at once would cause issues. Like maybe playing music through one system while recording/playback on the other. Seems kinda odd, i realize. It's just the circumstance I'm in right now.

Well, you're either going to have to specify the exact model so someone can read the manual for you or you're going to have to read the manual yourself.

Well, you're either going to have to specify the exact model so someone can read the manual for you or you're going to have to read the manual yourself.
M-Audio AV 40 monitors. The only mentions in the manual are...
1. "Your AV 40 monitors have a variety of inputs for use with a multitude of devices. Soundcards or other devices with RCA line outputs can be connected to the RCA inputs on your left speaker's back panel. Professional audio devices with balanced or unbalanced 1/4" outputs should be connected to the 1/4" TRS back panel inputs."

(for soundcards and other audio devices)
2. "Connect the 1/4" or RCA input jacks to the corresponding output connectors of a computer sound card, portable music player, etc.".

So you see, it's rather ambiguous. I figured somebody here might have a more experienced or technical background on the subject.

M-Audio AV 40 monitors. The only mentions in the manual are...
1. "Your AV 40 monitors have a variety of inputs for use with a multitude of devices. Soundcards or other devices with RCA line outputs can be connected to the RCA inputs on your left speaker's back panel. Professional audio devices with balanced or unbalanced 1/4" outputs should be connected to the 1/4" TRS back panel inputs."

(for soundcards and other audio devices)
2. "Connect the 1/4" or RCA input jacks to the corresponding output connectors of a computer sound card, portable music player, etc.".

So you see, it's rather ambiguous. I figured somebody here might have a more experienced or technical background on the subject.

With a block diagram or schematic I could tell you for sure, but lacking that and an explicit go-ahead from the manufacturer I would assume not just to be safe. A small mixer or even a passive summing network would let you put signal from two devices into them safely.

Yeah, I kinda figure the same as far as being on the safe side. Anyway I think I've uncovered the champion. Just picked up a used PreSonus Inspire 1394. For a fraction of the cost it seems to outplay my new Roland Duo-Capture EX. Looking at the spec sheet seems to confirm what my ears tell me. Even though I'm not very technical savvy. Maybe I'll do a spec compare in a new thread. See what the experts here say. Thanks bouldersoundguy.

Back