Monitor choice...any views?

Dr X

mackie 624s (the new, littler ones), Genelec 1030s, or Dynaudio BM6As. These are all around the same price in the UK. Anyone care to share their preferences/experiences? Thanks in advance.

The Dynaudios are better without question.

The electronics and cabinet construction are on a similar par with the Genelecs, but the Dynaudio speaker drivers are far better.

Those other speakers don't deserve to be mentioned.

barefoot

i say spend a little extra and get blue sky 2.1's(1300).. they're the best monitors out..bottom line..and its a 2.1 setup that comes with a very clean 12.

c9-2001 said:
blue sky 2.1's(1300).. they're the best monitors out..bottom line...
First of all, where did you hear that???? Blue Sky's marketing rep?

Secondly, the street price for a pair of BM6A's is about $1800. That's without a sub. So, that would mean paying less for the Blue Sky's. Not that paying less is a bad thing, but you do tend to get what you pay for.

barefoot

the Blue Sky monitors are ok - not the Dynaudio quality as far as I'm concerned.
Second - for stereo monitoring I very much doubt the value of a 2:1 set-up, unless this is in a purpose designed listening environment, with the system perfectly calibrated.

Has anyone listened to the Blue Sky's? I currently use NS 10's with a sub and I am pretty satisfied, but I am looking for something a little better for my new room in the $2000 range, but I want something that is full range.

no i didn't hear it from a rep.. i got invited to a studio from a blue sky user... he had plenty of different monitors, but none touch the blue skys at all..
genelec 1031,macki 824,krk v88 and v8's with tr12 sub..hafler tsm8.1 with a 12inch sub.. and some other monitors he had just got..ADAM i think..

Thanks, Chaps!(or chappesses)

Barefoot's views, as a speaker designer, are particularly interesting. People keep telling me to get 1030s, they're kind of a new industry standard...my essential criteria for the choice is Mixes that Travel. I'm sorting out my room and I want a pair of Monitors that are really going to achieve my objective, almost more than sheer transparency etc. I auditioned all three in the shop but it's impossible to make a judgement there (to put it mildly!). Anyone used the little Mackies or the Gennys in anger?

The Yamahas are used by most of the real pros out there, and they virtually guarantee a good mix. Now some of you may have dificulties getting there with them but when you do you dont have to worry about the end product not sounding good.

Re: Thanks, Chaps!(or chappesses)

Dr X said:
Barefoot's views, as a speaker designer, are particularly interesting.....I auditioned all three in the shop but it's impossible to make a judgement there (to put it mildly!)....
Opinions vary widely, and that does in big part result because comparing monitors is a difficult task. Rarely do you find an optimal setup for decent comparisons.

My opinions are based both on listening to the monitors, usually in a showroom, and lots of experience with the particular designs and components in question. I know what to listen for and I know what the speakers are fundamentally capable of doing. The design and materials of the speaker drivers are really the ultimate limiting factors in the performance of a speaker. The box, electronics, and overall integration can be done with various degrees of excellence or buffoonery, but you simply can't circumvent the fundamental limitations of the drivers. So, I'm usually not overly surprised by the sound of a speaker (though I'm sometimes surprised by the price which can be disproportionately high relative to the components used.... hhahh chhooGenelec!... excuse me), because most manufacturers use variations of components that are widely available and that I know well. I've designed speakers with the Dynaudio Esotec tweeter and 17W-75 midbass used in the BM-6A, the Vifa D25AG and P17WJ used in the HR624, the Eton 7-360 midbass use in the S2-A, etc. None of these I use anymore, because there are either now superior alternatives, or I've just learned better. Likewise, I've evaluated and declined using the Vifa TX25TG tweeter in the Blue Sky's and the Heil tweeters used in A.D.A.M.'s.

Anyhow, where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I rarely give monitor reviews on this board, mainly because I just don't like the monitors that are in the price range of most homerecors. Maybe I'm a snob, but to me it's often like asking, "which shade of dookie do you like?" But when it's a clear choice between say a Genelec and a Dynaudio I'm happy to chime in. And I feel I can speak confidently about this because, beyond just trying to A/B them in a showroom, I'm very familiar with the components and designs involved - all of which have quite predictable attributes.

barefoot

Last edited:
So it's NS10s are dead long live the Dynaudios by the sound of it! I guess when it comes down to it, any of these are going to be a BIG step up from my Tannoy Reveals and Arcam amp?

Back