Monitor Calibration Question

CaseyCayce

I’m struggling with monitor calibration and need some direction. I’m using KRK Rokit-8 monitors that have a HF Adjust and LF Adjust on the back. Those adjustments have little effect on this issue I’m posting. I have a pink-noise track in Pro-Tools that gives an EQ reading of a normal, steady, slightly ascending slope from low end to high end. Using a measurement mic, I’m getting an EQ out of my monitors with a distinct low-end drop, like an HPF is being applied. The signal is going straight out of Pro-Tools through my Presonus 32R for this test, totally dry. As a second test, I loaded the pink noise file into iTunes on my Mac, disabled the iTunes EQ, ran it out of the headphones jack and into the KRKs, getting the same results.

I’m not so thoroughly versed on monitors, but my expectation is that they’re supposed to give me back exactly what’s coming out of my system, am I correct on that? If I mix based on the HPF curve of these monitors, aren’t my mixes are going to come out more bottom end than I want?

See the attached image for the source and monitors EQ readings.

Could use some help on this one.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Monitor-Analysis.jpg
    Monitor-Analysis.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 6
That's a reasonably normal curve for near field monitors. You are less than 2db down at 50hz. Realistically, there isn't much useful information down below 50hz. The rumble of a kick drum is around 50 hz

Most of what you need to pay attention to is in the midrange.

I wouldn't calibrate your monitor system - instead just get used to the sound they produce and mix accordingly.

Low E on bass guitar is around 43Hz.
Right but, as with all stringed instruments, the power is always an octave above the fundamental. That would be 86hz, but what you hear in the mix tends to be the midrange 400-1khz. Think of all the mixes done on NS-10s, they started falling off a cliff around 100hz...

All speakers have some kind of limit to LF extension. Starting to roll off at around 50 Hz seems about right for an 8" woofer.

Back