monitor amp

could someone hit me with some watt/ohm knowledge?

If the amp is 50w at 4 ohm and 80w at 8 ohm...my speakers are 6 ohm, how do I figure the amp wattage? Or in general how do I figure amp wattages.

I've also got an old amp of my dad's I'm going to be using for a bit and it says 4 ohm 125w (which is enough for me for now) but how do I figure out what it is at 6 ohms, just out of curiosity?

thanks

Lowering impedance increases the power drawn. But it's not always a simple thing because thermal limits become important as you lower the impedance.

In the first example it's likely you got the impedances and powers mixed up. The power for 6ohms would be between the 4 and 8 ohm ratings. So for an amp that did 50 watts at 8 ohms and 80 watts at 4 ohms the 6 ohm output would be about 65 watts.

The 125W@4ohm amp would probably do about 70W@8ohm and about 100W@6ohm.

OK, I had a birthday...and a wonderful wife...so I went with the emotiva mini.

I had to build some cables this morning to hook everything up.

I did a quick song this morning, just vocals, guitar, bass and drums to test the new Yorkville monitors.

Then I've been listening to music through them for a couple hours.

Amazing! I'm mad that I mixed through my crappy maudio sp5B for so long. These speakers sound so much better and my mix seems to have way less bass problems right off the bat. this may just be the euphoria talking, but so far so good.

And, LtBob, get the mini! It's dead quiet and super clean. I have no experience with any other units, but this seems to be a great deal.

Back