monitor/amp compatibility

MGS

Is it acceptable to use a high quality home stereo amp to power a pair of near-field monitors or do you suggest a particular amp specifically designed for this purpose. If so, what are some recommended products?

Mark

i am using a sony 100w per channel stereo reciever to power my alesis point sevens and it works great.just be sure that when you are mixing that any tone controls on the amp are set flat or bypassesd,and that any loudness or bass boost switch is off.also,check your impedance.many nearfield monitors are 4 ohm load whereas home equipment is 8 ohm.if your amp has 2 sets of 8 ohm speaker outs,you should be fine as long as you don't run any other speakers at the same time with them.check to see that you don't underpower them.an amp that pushes 20rms paired with speakers rated at 100w rms wouldn't be a good match,whereas 80w would be good.i am sure there is some kind of formula for it somewhere,but i am getting too old to worry about math and just go with what works.the most important thing is that you have nearfield monitors amd not stereo speakers......peace

i love my point sevens.you can't beat them for the price.i was using jbl 4206's before i remodeled and built my control room,which isn't huge,like 7' by 10' i was torn between these and ns 10's,so my bud at the local music store here brought both sets out for an afternoon and we spent some time a-b checking them(and knocking back a couple of cold ones)and we both agreed that for the size and shape of my control room,the point sevens were better.the 5 1/4" woofer took a little getting used to because they don't reach down quite as low as a 6 1/2",but the bass response that is there is tight and accurate.the highs are better than anything i heard(at least to my ear)and the mids are very revealing.i put on some of my old mixes and heard some ugly things in the upper mids especially on guitar thst i had never heard clearly on any other speaker.i did a remix of one and the boom box test startled me.an added bonus is that they are VERY well sheilded so you can shove them right up next to your computer monitor or if you inadvertantly set a tape on them at 4:30 a.m. you're ok.i have heard a lot of good things about the event 20-20's also,but haven't had a chance to hear any yet.you did'nt mention if you already had monitors,but if you are shopping,take a serious listen to the point sevens with the rest.take a cd or two of your favorite stuff when you go to listen,stuff you have listened to a lot,and see which monitor brings out things you never noticed,especially if they are ugly sounding things,and thats your pair.monitors aren't supposed to sound pretty,thats what stereo speakers are for.if you have the budget,go ahead and get a pro amp like an alesis ra-100,or a hafler if you have the bucks.well,it looks like i have been blathering on about my monitors too long,but i really like them.........peace

strmkr,

I don't have a pair of near-fields yet but I'll certainly consider the point sevens. The Tannoy Reveals come highly rated as well and are within my budget. I think the 20/20's are a bit pricey for me.

Mark

Back