Money to spend

Jack Simpson

I am about to pick up some cash soon and I am going to spend it all on recording gear. This is what I plan to record...
Guitars-Lead, and 2 Rhythms
Bass
Drums-Floor tom, 2 front toms, snare, ride cymbal, crash, bass, hi-hat
Vocals-Lead, Backup
I have a Mf-P01 and I do not want another recorder. We play hard rock, and are recording in a small regular size with concrete walls. Now this is what I plan to get.
Behringer 6-channel mixer
Behringer ECM8000's 4 of them
Shure SM-57 1 of them
Mic stands and cables, etc.
Is this the best buy for my budget?

I'd like to know more before I comment more, but one thing stands out right away...

The ECM's aren't really the easiest mics to use. Omni directional microphones only sound as good as your room. From what I understand they are great mics for what they are but not the greatest for what you are trying to do. I could easily be wrong- I just got my 2 today and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. :D My other omni pattern mic sounds like crap most of the time, though, because my room is not treated well for sound at all.

I'd get 2 ecm's, perhaps, and get a second SM-57 instead of the other 2 omnis.

How are you planning to lay the songs down? And (is there an echo in here?) what's the budget?

My budget will be about $390. I want to record drums seperate then two guitars (rhythm), then the bass, then the vocals and solos. Now all I have is two cheap radio shack omni's and a cheap dynamic mic. I really want that up close tight in your face sound, I need to order soon. I won't use any echo except amp reverb.

in that situation

AT ATM25 Pro - 60
pair of ecm8000s - 60
1 sm57's - 80
1 Marshall mxlv67-160 (only if you want really nice vocals...if vocal sound isnt a big issue, the sm57 will do fine)

if you dont get the Marshall, get 2 more sm57's......

Thanks, that sounds good. Will all these mics and a mixer satisfy me? Also, I just saw an ad for drum mic packages, like 7 nady mics for $200 you know the kind that clip on to the drums? Are these any count?

Jack Simpson said:
I am about to pick up some cash soon and I am going to spend it all on recording gear. This is what I plan to record...
Guitars-Lead, and 2 Rhythms
Bass
Drums-Floor tom, 2 front toms, snare, ride cymbal, crash, bass, hi-hat
Vocals-Lead, Backup
I have a Mf-P01 and I do not want another recorder. We play hard rock, and are recording in a small regular size with concrete walls. Now this is what I plan to get.
Behringer 6-channel mixer
Behringer ECM8000's 4 of them
Shure SM-57 1 of them
Mic stands and cables, etc.
Is this the best buy for my budget?

run, don't walk, away from behringer mixers :)

i have found them to be noisy, inflexible and sloppily built.

I would recommend a small Mackie (1202, or something). The Mackie VLZ pre-amps are pretty sweet for the price range.

I suppose the first thing I would spend some money on is treating your live room... unless you want lots of reflections (some can pull it off).

have fun!

Why are you buying your bandmates instruments....???

I mean it's nice of you.. But if they know how to play they must have they're own instruments.....

I rather see you spend the money on a Better Mixer and better Mics... maybe a Mackie VLZ 1604......

Then and again, it's not my money...

Audix makes a nice Drum mic Kit... It's the only "Kit" that I reccomend... (D-Series)

aw damn i forgot about the mixer....does the $390 include the mixer?...if so

pair of ecm8000's - 70
shure sm57 -80
at atm25pro -60
2 Midiman Audio Buddy preamps - 160

Back