Moments Merge In Time – FREE mp3 Promo – Any thoughts on this track???

dreamer7

:cool: Hi to all you home recording musicados

I've got a new track up on Soundclick for your listening pleasure. Please play the Hi-Fi streaming version and if you like it you might want to download the free mp3.

Let me know any thoughts you might have – Do you like it? Do you not like it? Does it hold your attention? Is it missing anything or is it fine as it is? Is it recorded/mixed well? What style/genre does it come across as? And anything else you may come up with!

Here's the link to my page if you fancy a listen:
http://www.soundclick.com/gardenofsurrealdreams

It's called Moments Merge In Time and is created using multi-layered electrickery guitar atmospherics over solid multi-overlaid purposely offset deep drum machine rhythms, with a couple of perhaps unexpected parts to keep you on your toes. Starts slow-ish, but keep listening. It's only 4 minutes long, so should hold your attention. It's best on headphones really for the swinging across parts, but whatever suits you.

I think most people should be able to move a bit to this one. The first part is probably OK for anyone with two left feet, the middle part is for the usual left and right footed people, and the last part is maybe suited to anyone with three legs – so if your name's Jake the Peg you'll be fine :rolleyes:.

While you're there you might also want to listen to the other 2 tracks on my page, if you haven't already heard them. They're all quite different to each other.

Thanks for reading and I'm prepared to accept any remarks you may have ;)
Dreamer7

:confused: God, it's damn quiet so far.

No replies and it's been on for days. Forgot to mention before that at the moment I'm only recording on a fairly oldish Tascam 564 digital mini-disc 4-track portastudio, supplemented by a really old Tandberg 2-track reel-to-reel for manipulation etc.

In some places there are up to 20 guitars going on at the same time, but you may not necessarily notice that. It created the sound I wanted anyway. I was really trying to get away from the typical rock guitar sound that's used a lot and had some fun building the layers up. It's all about atmospherics rather than tunes.

Any thoughts or critiques anyone?
Dreamer7

What do you mean, FREE?

Nobody here charging for a listen, so check that - people might have thought this was a bit of spam.:p

Cool sounds. I never to try to wrestle that kind of stuff out of my delays because I'm afraid it'll get out of control. Nice work.

ROFL @ 2:28. Is that Quiet Riot? :D

FREE is for nothing!

:rolleyes: What I mean by 'free' is that it costs nothing! I don't see how it could be misunderstood, but maybe you're right and people thought it was a dodgy spam type thing.

Oh well, now that's cleared up, thanks for your reply Supercreep. It's good to get feedback of any type really. Glad you like it.

I must admit that I generally (though not always) rely heavily on effects to take the music far enough away from the norm, and you're right that sometimes they get out of control and odd things start to happen. But, that's when happy accidents happen too, so I like the unexpected quality of sometimes pushing things a bit too far, if you know what I mean. At times I'm left with gremlins in the works that I can't get rid of, but nothing's perfect eh?

Would you mind explaining the last line of your reply as I don't really get what you mean here (sounds interesting though):
"ROFL @ 2:28. Is that Quiet Riot?"

:) Thanks for your time,
Dreamer7

:rolleyes: What I mean by 'free' is that it costs nothing! I don't see how it could be misunderstood

It wasn't!! I was just poking a little fun at you. Hilarious, no? :)

Perhaps not as hilarious as the notion that someone might actually pay money to listen to a work solicited for critique - the sort of thing implied inversely by your thread title. That such a situation doesn't really exist makes the FREE thing a little spurious. /jab jab/

/jab/

It's really not as funny if you have to explain it. :o

I must admit that I generally (though not always) rely heavily on effects to take the music far enough away from the norm, and you're right that sometimes they get out of control and odd things start to happen. But, that's when happy accidents happen too, so I like the unexpected quality of sometimes pushing things a bit too far, if you know what I mean.

I completely agree with you. I'm afraid of runaway feedback. It usually occurs when I'm being a careless idiot. Which is most of the time, come to think of it.

Would you mind explaining the last line of your reply as I don't really get what you mean here (sounds interesting though):
"ROFL @ 2:28. Is that Quiet Riot?"

Yes. The beat at 2:28 reminds me of Quiet Riot's lamentable Come on Feel the Noize to me. I ROFLd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2J_UZ8lQU

ROFL. :)

It's a great beat, man. I wax nostalgic. Do you use all your delays in series, or do you apply a layer at a time? How was this recorded?

:o Right, I get it now Supercreep, took me a while eh? I originally put it that way to point out that it wasn't just a streaming track, but I'll word things differently next time, as it does sound quite odd now that I think about it. Anyway, moving on.

Yeah, you're right, it is similar to the beat you mention, but I've only ever heard the original Slade version of that song donkey's years ago now. The vid you gave the link to is embarassing - must be old now I guess.

I added all the effects a layer at a time and was choosing spontaneously as I went along, so I couldn't tell you exactly what I did and I probably couldn't re-create it either - It's a one-off sort of thing, but most of mine are like that. If I was to do them again, they'd be totally different.

The drum beat is from an old Akai drum machine that's now broken. I recorded some beats from it about seven years ago and didn't get around to using them for anything. When I came up with the idea for this new track, I really wanted to use that machine, only to find that it wouldn't work anymore, so I dug out the old recording and used a section of it. It's actually the same beat all through this track with the odd fill here and there, but I manipulated it in all sorts of ways to change it completely - slowing down, multi-layering with different full-on effects added each time etc etc.

Like I said earlier, it was recorded on a 4-track, so the beat sections are placed by hand, using fingers on buttons to place them at the right point purposely slightly off-set, behind the previously laid down rythm. Bleedin' difficult it was too. I had to do it over and over to get it sounding right as even a slight difference in placing could sound totally wrong. Almost gave up at one point.

All this will change when I start to record on a computer, later this year hopefully, and I know the quality will be far superior, but at the moment I don't have the gear or the knowledge to do that and I'm a bit of a technophobe. So, that'll be another posting for another time - you know, like: :eek: heeeeelllpp!!!

dreamer7

Back