Mojave Audio Tube Mic

mkeene

So, I finally got around to trying this out...
I ordered the MA-2 kit for my MXL 2001 after reading the review for it in Home Recording Magazine. I must start out by saying that you should know a little bit about soldering and electronics if you decide to do this mod, but you dont have to be an electrical engineer.

The instruction manual was laid out very nicely, and there were pictures for almost every step in building both the power supply and microphone. All of the parts were clearly labeled and corresponded to a matching number and letter combination on the pcb boards. Pretty much idiot proof. It took me about 5 hours to put the kit together, and there were a few very slight problems along the way. For one, the circuit board had no mounting holes on it, and the holes on the ammo box (power supply box) did not line up with the circuit board. I simply drilled my own holes into the board and the box, and that problem was solved. Not really a big deal. It also came with nice mogami mini quad cable to connect the power supply to the modded mic.

After I was done with the mic, I plugged it in and gave it a try, and it worked! It definitely has a very nice sound to it. Ive since used it on vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, and it sounds pretty decent on all.
A full, clean, and natural sound is what I would say...but what the hell do I know...

So anyways, I've decided to include a soundclip of the mic, and let you decide for yourself. I used this mic with a MXL 603 on acoustic (over the shoulder, and the 603 was 8" from the 12th fret), with a 57 on the electric (1 and a half feet back with the 57 on the grille), and on the vocals(6" back). Everything went through a FMR RNP and with some "subtle" compression from an RNC. I guess thats pretty much it. This is a less than 2 minute sample of the song, called Lullabye. Oh and sorry it has to be an mp3...but thats all I can reasonably upload.
-Mike

-Lullabye http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2357/singles

Interesting. I was at the ADK booth at Summer NAMM show in Nashville last weekend and they had this mic on display. I believe ADK is supplying the case and capsule to Mojave for the full-blown $500 kit. They had it set up with the rest of their mics for demo and it sounded great! For my baritone voice, it was one of my favorites. It put that sweet upper mid-range "buzz" in my voice that I love to hear.

Back