mogami mic cable

donkeystyle

so i needed some mic cables and some 1/4 inch cables. i did some price checking on bulk and pre made cables and realised that bulk was probably best for me since it's much cheaper and i don't have to have the cables right now.....just soon.....so i have time to actually put them all together.

so i bought some mogami 2549 and 2524 cable and some neutrik connectors from redco audio. they treated me well. it was a good experience.

i'm really just commenting on how thin these cables seem. it just seems to me that this stuff should be thicker. they're about the same size as some crappy 10 foot peavey cables i have. are they as thin as they are because the wire and stuff is so much better or what?

Mogami is great, I have some 40 patch cables (Tiny Telephone) that are in use since 1996, not a single one is broken.

Just like you I've bought a roll of mic cable and made a number of mic wires. They're the best I have.

Are you talking about the thin black Mogami cable? Mogami also makes wire that is thicker insulation that is colored. That is what you might be looking for in a mic cable.

When you're talking about the low electron flow that a microphone's diaphram produces, you don't need thick wire. Thick wire will actually resist the low current slightly more than thinner wire. It's more about the material and the construction they use. So don't worry, Mogami know's what they're doing. I'm using the 2549 with self soldered Neutrik connectors too. It's good stuff.

qbert1 said:
When you're talking about the low electron flow that a microphone's diaphram produces, you don't need thick wire. Thick wire will actually resist the low current slightly more than thinner wire. It's more about the material and the construction they use. So don't worry, Mogami know's what they're doing. I'm using the 2549 with self soldered Neutrik connectors too. It's good stuff.

Yes, but for mic cable, don't you think he might want the wire that has a thicker insulation to protect the wire?

Recording Chick said:
Yes, but for mic cable, don't you think he might want the wire that has a thicker insulation to protect the wire?

I'm not really familiar with all the options of the Mogami line, but the 2549 (at least) has the standard "store bought" insulation width. My 2806 cable however has a thinner insulation and is intended for patching of rack gear and permanent/semi permanent installations.

If you're really concerned about breakage and protection from, look for braided shielding in addition to thicker insulation (if you can find some). I've heard that protects better than the spiral, though it's more a pain to solder. But unless you're planning to gig with your cables, I'm sure the 2549 will work just fine in the long term. I can't speak too the other option purchased.

i wasn't really worried about it. i realise that it sounded like a complaint or like i thought they were going to suck. it was meant more as a general observation. i guess i could have worded it better.

i figure that 2549 is redco's most popular mogami cable and the mogami cable i see mentioned most on message boards like this one, so it's probably pretty good.

Back