modified Strat...wiring diagram

Green House

Attached is a wiring diagram I drew up for my strat. These are the mods it will have:

1. Lace Holy Grails
2. Mega E switch- all positions same as stock except for the middle position which will activate the bridge and the neck.
3. Master Volume and Master Tone- both "no load"
4. Master Midrange Cut
5. Star Grounding and sheilding
6. Fishman Powerbridge

Does everything on the diagram look good? I am fairly confident about the switch, but am worried I may have overlooked something else somewhere. BTW, assume that all marked grounds are the same grounding point.

Thanks for looking at this.

Richard

Attachments

• guitarmod3.jpg
    guitarmod3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 105
You don't appear to have a ground going to the body of the volume control, but other than that it looks fine.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

thanks for your reply

I was under the impression that it would be bad to ground the body of the volume because there is already a connection to ground.

Will this not create a ground-loop? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Thanks,
Richard

Cool idea! A couple of questions....

Does the powerbridge require any kind of control?

Where do you find a mid-cut potentiometer?

when I did my strat, I put in a push/pull volume knob. When it's out, I get the bridge pup on all positions (this works in conjunction with the 5-way selector). When it's in, the regular 5 way selector takes priority.

We'll all make the assumption that you are shielding the cavity and pickguard :-)

Have fun! Looks like a rocker!

I found the midrange cut/ "boost" at the following site:

http://www.guitar-mod.com

Oh...it sounds very cool. On 5 it doesn't effect the tone...as you turn it down it cuts the mids...as you turn it up it cuts the highs and lows.

The powerbridge is passive...no battery needed...the signal (for me) will go out of the ring into a volume pedal then into the PA.

This is a great project that I have been cooking on for a while. All the parts are almost in.

peace,
Richard

Green House said:
thanks for your reply

I was under the impression that it would be bad to ground the body of the volume because there is already a connection to ground.

Will this not create a ground-loop? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Thanks,
Richard

You always want to ground the body of all of the controls, in a passive system. It is normal to just rund the ground end of the control to the back of the housing, and then tie all the housings together.

There is a control you can get for the Powerbridge, which is a preamp/volume for the Piezos, but you do not need it. the bridge does sound better though, with the preamp.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Here is an updated diagram. I am shielding the cavity and pickguard and star-grounding the electronics.

Couple of questions:

1. All three pot shells will be grounded by being in direct contact with the copper shielding. Is that okay?

2. Is the ground labeled #1 unnecessary? There is a ground by the input jack (wired to the negative) so I am thinkng this might not be necessary.

3. Does anyone see any gotchas here?

Thanks,
Richard

Standard procedure is to bring the grounds all to one point, usually the back of the volume pot, and then jump to each of the other pots.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back