modern-old timey folk

cello_pudding

so it's my return to unemployment and music. it's been a while.

this isn't the usual modern-freak folk.

it's a shoot for a horse feathers/old school country feel.

oh..it's CCM. just a warning if you don't like that sorta thing.

i feel like it may be too busy or just not gelling.

opinions? i haven't actually sat back and listened.

oh...the harmonica wasn't in key with the song. i had a pitch shift on the master and the harmonica and would switch back and forth...i have no idea what the timing will sound like on the bounce. it seems like it would change from the position i started to play back the mix.

mix 3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25779

Last edited:
ps: i'm looking for more of a "what does this sound like musically" critique more than "what does this sound like as a recording" critique.

some parts i find breath well, some parts the rhythm is a struggle to listen to.

I enjoyed this track quite a bit.

I like the expressiveness of the vocals, the old-timey style and the sound of the instruments individually, but in terms of rhythm, it seemed a bit jumbled at times.

I guess re-reading your own comments I agree with your assessment that some parts breathe well and others are a bit of a struggle. Too dense and busy.

I really like the sound and the overall feel though.

Last edited:
Man, it sounds like you put a stereo mic in the middle of the room and just played. Love it. It's got a great feel. Granted, it's not a pristine recording, but that just adds to the charm of the song.

What is ccm?

Cool song.

I love the strummed banjo.
The fiddle is a bit loud for the vocal - it stomps on them really.
This has a bit of the Violent Femmes Country feel about it - vocals probably - a bit indie/expressive for trad. country.
The harmonica works for me.
It has a Harvest era feel to the music/instrumentation.
I like. I look forward to developments.
Quite a bit of suppressed anger/anxiety in this...like Country Death Song.

Nice, it conjured up pictures in black and white in my mind...cottonfields, riverboats, minstrels and stuff. If it was a pristine clear recording, it would lose its magic.

ps: i'm looking for more of a "what does this sound like musically" critique more than "what does this sound like as a recording" critique.

some parts i find breath well, some parts the rhythm is a struggle to listen to.

I listened to this the other day and really think you have something pretty here, so I wanted to give it a thoughtful response. I love the old timey feeling...harmonies are really sweet. Wish I could play banjo & fiddle too...I'm jealous. Your voice is very interesting....I would like a little more enunciation at times, but I'm being picky there. I think there are some timing issues (in addition to that harmonica key you mentioned) but it all kinda works in it's own disjointed sort of way. I think you are right about the rhythm being one of the weaker aspects of this song...tempo is inconsistent (if I was in a particularly critical mood, I'd say it borders on spastic in a few places....but I liked the song well enough overall). If you don't get another job soon, then you can work on this song some more!

PS... apparently I like "CCM", but please tell me (and Chili) what does that stand for?? Countrified County Music? Contemporary Country Music?

thanks.

it was originally just a guitar and vocal test thing. but then i was like...i wonder what i can do with this and started playing around. the fiddle part at the beginning was partly improvised. i just took two takes and put them on different tracks. then i just kept going. after doing a bunch, i was like...hmm...i should redo the original because the timing is odd. but thing is that the take was done after someone was sorta crappy to me and i gave them a fuck you a few times...and so i was just in the mood to sing something like this. a new take woulda sucked the genuineness out. i guess imperfection is something this song specifically needs.

you may have listened to an older mix of it, sharon. it's still not perfect...but when i posted this i had a different version. and then i did another...uploaded and changed the url..and then did another version...uploaded and changed the url again.

anyways...thanks for the feedback y'all.

i keep giving it a few hours and listen again to try to get fresh ears, and sometimes i come back to it annoyed and sometimes content.

CCM means contemporary christian music.

it's a churchy song. it's a 90's ccm song.

it's our confession Lord that we are weak so very weak, but you are strong.
and though we've nothing Lord to lay at your feet. we come to your feet and say help us along.

a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
you have yet to deny.
your heart of mercy beats with loves strong current.
let your river flow. by your spirit now. Lord we cry

let your mercies flow from heaven. sweet mercies flow from heaven
new mercies for today. shower them down Lord as we pray.

it's a good song to sing after you've fucked up.

I really enjoyed listening to this, in spite of all it's foibles. Voice has a sort of Joe Purdy meets Ray LaMontagne vibe to it, which is great. The low-fi qualitiy of the recording adds to the overall vision/message/sentiment being expressed in the song. Thanks for sharing this.

I love this. Part of me is heavily drawn to this type of music, being from central Virginia, the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It definitely hits it's mark, old timey music, instrumentation and lyrics.....struggle, struggling to find the Lord and being worthy of His mercies, coming up short and trying again, the good Lord willing.

Very nice.

Back