Modern day 4 track

Phil66

Ello all,

A few years ago I had a Fostex tape 4 track. I only used it to record stuff for my tutor to listen to and judge. I would now like to record some drums (from my Boss DR550) and my guitar, for rhythm and lead. Maybe also some bass.
What's a good cheap and cheerful unit for this kind of thing these days? I've been thinking about a Zoom R16. I don't really need effect built in because I have a Boss GT-10.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Phil

in terms of ease of use and features for cost

Zoom R16 is probably as reasonable a choice as you are going to find

the original Fostex MR-8 supported four simultaneous inputs but the MKii only has two & when available the originals are still getting $250 used, with R16 b-stock showing
for $300-360 R16 is just, a reasonable value

(usual disclaimer about the URL no connection to retailer and no specific endorsement, and haggling with any retailer might get the new into the $350 range)

happy enough with the Zoom r16 that I'm likely to get a 2nd (one reason for researching b-stock) and postpone purchase of A&H Zed r16 (@$2k) while I wait and see about price of Zed r24 and whether they will fix the r16's faders (use different faders on 24 can't 'fix' the 16's)) back in '97/'98 got a Korg D16 (@ about $1500), the Zoom R16 is really the first thing 'similar' and a lot more flexible . . . there have obviously been a lot of stand alone hd recorders in the interim . . . but the features for which I was looking, including portability & ease of use, were in relatively short supply . . . lots of stuff with more features and bigger price tag, lots of stuff that didn't support minimum number of simultaneous inputs that i needed . . . I had several cassette 4 trks, several 8 trks and Korg D16 seemed to be first digital update (in terms of capability and portability) that actually justified the cost . . . the Zoom I find, for me, to be a similar 'update' for the D16 supporting the same ideas

I will not pretend that it is the greatest thing since Edison's first cylinder recorder/player, nor do I think its build suggests it will last as long as the D16 (which I do not use very often but did as recently as two years ago to record a live show outdoors in high heat, lot of dust (and probably a couple of other things that would have challenged the laptops) but it will take me a couple of years to wear it out completely

Not so. Recording a 16 or a 24 bit .WAV file to a hard drive doesn't involve any compression.

But as I understood it, recording to mini-disc always uses compression, like an MP-3 file. I was just wondering if the Zoom's SC media worked like that.

The Zoom offers 16/24-bit linear WAV format and 44.1kHz sampling.

Mini-Disc was a Sony proprietary hardware format which stored ATRAC compressed audio. It was a big mistake by Sony that they refused for a very long time to support mp3, and thus doomed any chance they had as owners of the leading Walkman brand to remain market leaders in personal audio.

SD/SDHC is the most popular kind of general-use flash memory card - it's no more fussy what you store on it than a USB memory key.

But as I understood it, recording to mini-disc always uses compression, like an MP-3 file. I was just wondering if the Zoom's SC media worked like that.

as above poster said . . . didn't pick up on the 'sc' when I replied. Zoom uses 'secure digital' flash memory cards (not entirely sure what 'sc' is

even so my reply still stands even for mini-disc . . . when not tied to proprietary firmware the disc didn't force compression.

and with regard to Zoom, just, for the hell of paralleled to computer using a studio interface, did an invert paste and came up with a straight line

Back