Modding my Bellari MP-105, need help

undrgrnd studio

Hey guys, I decided to mod my cheapo Bellari MP-105. Using this method:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/183449-black-lion-bellari-mp-105-mod.html

I purchased a JJ/Tesla ECC83s/12AX7 tube, two AD826ANZ OpAmps, and two new Honeywell 308NPC100KS potentiometers.

The tube is simple, the Opamps seem easy, but the potentiometers seem a little more difficult. All of the soldering I have done in my life has been with cables and amps. I have never soldered on a circuit. I don't think using my crappy soldering iron on this preamp would be a good idea. I don;t want to melt the circuit. So what exactly should I do? Do I need a special soldering iron to remove the pots and install the new ones?

By the way I'll make a recording or before and after the mod. I hear the results are supposed to be night and day. I guess I'll find out as long as I don't melt the damn thing.

I finished up on Friday night. I wish I had a smaller tip for my desoldering iron that I bought. But I was able to get the job done.

Well, I did some A/B tests. But once I opened everything up I remember that I already replaced the tube with a tung sol a couple years ago. So I already was at a loss for comparison. But from the changes I did make to the op amps and pots, the results were subtle but definitely worth the effort.

It seemed to open up frequency's in the low end and calm down some thin sounding highs. It also has an overall smoother sound that compliments bass very well, especially my P Bass. I recorded two guitar and bass tracks before and after the mods, and the latter is more pleasant and full. It was a fun project, I would do it again. Putting the pots on was difficult because the replacements aren't direct fits at all. I had to snip some plastic and glue them on, then I had to solder on some lead extension to reach the circuit board. Also, I don't know what to do about knobs now, the old ones don't fit and the new ones didn't come with any.

Back