Modding a MXL V63M. Help me please.

braincoil

I am on a strict budget, and I only have a single Large diaphragm Condenser (V63M) for my studio.

But I can easily solder on PC boards so that's no problem.

However, I have SEARCHED and SEARCHED for a DIY mod you can do to a
V63m but cant find anything.

I do have a ton of metal film Caps and Metal film Resistors in pretty much any value and have access to get other caps too.

Would it be worthwhile to switch out all the caps to metal film?
Are there any values I can change?
Or change the ceramic caps to something else?

Any help would be GREAT. Thanks!!!

Take a picture of the board and we can give you a hand at which ones to do.

You can start by removing the inner mess of the headbasket.

AFAIK, this is the same schoeps clone circuit. (Transformerless output) There are a couple of recent threads here for a MXL 990 mod. It's the same circuit, and one mod is in the recommendation on your thread at GS alos. I have those files, and will post for you. Basically, you can replace a couple of caps and eliminate the capsule coupling cap, or more extensive mods, which req re--biasing hte FET.

Last edited:
Also, there are different schools of thought on removing the mesh. If you go that route, you do need ot make sure you use a pop filter. Other people whose opinion I respect, are skeptical of messing with the headbasket. You also need ot make sure you don't undermine the mechanical integrity of hte headbasket. That said, on these mics, it should be fairly simple with a pair of long nose pliers.

I've always had good luck on modding the head basket. But it is a process that once it is done there is no looking back.

See post #36 in this thread, https://homerecording.com/bbs/speci...rew/mxl-990-mod-comparison-shootout-341930/4/ which has a bunch of different schematics, including the genchinamic.pdf referenced at GS. Sorry, I didn't think to post that thread. This is all assuming it is the same circuit, which is pretty likely. If you can post a picture of the insides front and back. Or, if you look at this, and it looks the same: http://recordinghacks.com/images/mic_extras/mxl/MXL2006-circuit.jpg What don't you like about the mic as-is and what do you hope to change. I mod mics for the sheer hell of it, and to have a larger palette of mics to work from, how much do you want to spend? You could also swap capsules (which also depends on the sound you are after) and these are vailable in various flavors at various price points.

Ok, I took it apart and took pics of both sides of the Circuit board.

I was about to post them, but when I preview them before I post, the pics are HUGE and are way to big. Im still trying to figure it out.

Here are the Capacitor locations, and what each capacitor says...

C1 - 223
C2 - 223
C3 - 9=L 334
C4 - (cant really see the markings but I am assuming its the came as C3)
C5 - 47uf
C6 - 220uf
C7 - 220uf
C8 - 27
C9 - 10
C10 - 102
C11 - 223
C12 - 223
C13 - (are two capacitor in parallel with the transistor)
C14 - 102
C15 - 102

Should I replace any other these?
I have metal film 63v Caps in most values up to 1UF. Would these be good to mod with?
Should I mod any resistors?

Thanks!!!!

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 774
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 775
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 773
Your pictures killed Firefox. Anyway. it is the same as the 2006/990/SP-1 and many others. So the genchinamicmod files will work, or the other mod I posted in that 990 thread. I am going to mod a 2006 (same circuit/different headbasket) pretty soon. I may not wait for mic mounts to arrive, it I can fit a C12 style on the existing mount. I plan only to direct connect the capsule, (which removes one of hte 1gig resistors and coupling cap) and swap the capsule for a C12 style.

Another note, per recordinghacks, this mic doesn't have the same HF rise as the 2006, even though the circuit (and I'd imagine the capsule, which are usually always a 32mm K67 copy) are or at least look the same. The bodies are different though. Mmmh.

How comfortable are you reading a schematic? A lot of the components in this one are already fairly decent. The issue is the capsule and the electronics. OP: have you reviewed the schematics in the 990 thread? (this is the same circuit as the 990 and the 2006) In fact, the only thing I can tell different between this mic and the 2006 is the shape of the headbasket. Note, the capsules may come from different manufacturers. You didn't take a picture of hte capsule, but it is likely a 32mm K67 type capsule. I have spare capsules, or you can go from US$95 to upwards or US$300 or more.

Back