MOD difference? (pics+samples)

Disease8

PICTURES AND 24BIT WAV's
Index of /MIC_TEST

Be good to hear what you guys have to say! I just replaced capsule/gate cap C13 from ceramic to 1000pf 640v metal film...

I have a problem with tinnitus so I am missing some high frequencies please help me out by letting me know if there is much difference in quality?

The gain might have been changed slightly on the unmodded mic..

I noticed more clarity in the low frequencies.. Please let me know..

PS: I was following the guide here

Please could someone tell me what difference they can hear?

Also I found I have more caps that are 1000pf but these are little blue ones with u1j63 written on them. So now I have modded my second 180 mic with these. I guess it would be better for me to use the same type of cap in each mic?

Found more caps

Also I found I have more caps that are 1000pf but these are little blue ones with u1j63 written on them. So now I have modded my second 180 mic with these. I guess it would be better for me to use the same type of cap in each mic?

Last edited:
i hear a difference in the clarity and strength of the low strings, but i honestly suspect it's a difference in mic position more than anything else.

The mic position was the same.
BTW I killed one mic now by switching the cap to the blue metl film one that was meant to be the same rating as the WMA one in the pics..

I am not sure if it was just changing the cap because I dropped it right on the nose earlier ... :-(

Pretty strange so i am going to remove that cap (u1j63) and replace with the original. That way i will keep one mic stock and one modified for easy testing. I tried to use the modified one that is pictured above today on a guitar, I didnt like it and went back to my B1 SP on the guitar with my A51 ADK on the vocals. I think the results were pretty cool, but I still think that my ADK 51 is the best mic I have!

So pretty strange. With the blue cap in the mic there is a signal but its very very quiet and everything is very very noisy. I still do not think this 603/180 mod will ever sound that good. But I have only changed one cap out of the three mentioned and its not ideal in Gus's mod above he puts polystyrene cap as the capsule cap (1000pf).. I have switched it up a bit and put the metal film one on the capsule cap..

The level difference is small but noticeable. If you level-match, I think anyone would be hard-pressed to hear a difference.

Back