mobile demo recording

brainwashed

I am a relative beginner. I am planning on setting up a mobile recording studio. I want to be able to take my gear to customer and get a good live recording. the plan is to record the band live and overdub the vocals. this will be for demo's only. once i have a stationary studio space i can overdub everyone to scratch track.

gear i am thinking about is

Mac G4 with Cubase SX (already have it)
Presonus Firepod
portable rackmount for firepod
Shure PGDMK6 drum mic package
3 SM 57 (snare, guitars)
KSM 27 (vocals)

mic placement
PG81 OH splitting the set equadistant from snare
PG52 kick
PG56 top snare
SM 57 bottom snare
SM 57 guitars
bass instrument in
KSM 27 vocals overdub

my budget is $2000-$3000
eventually i want to add another firepod so i can utilize all of the mics to capture more of the rooms natural reverb.
once i get the gear i plan on doing lots of tests on my band to get good mic placement.

questions, comments, please!!

Nothing too mobile about lugging around a desktop computer. If you are looking for mobility, Id suggest buying a nice laptop. Things to consider in laptop when purchasing, hard drive speed, floating point processor, lots'o'memory. I believe that SX works on both PC and Mac so you shouldnt have to buy any additional software. This is pretty much what I use and it all fits in 1 suitcase and a Laptop backpack.

I agree -- you need a notebook/powerbook plus external UBS/FireWire hard drive (so you you run the software off your powerbook HD, but record the audio on a separate drive ... makes your HD performance better).

G4 laptop

the G4 is a laptop. 1.25 GHz, 1 GB DDR SDRAM
i have a DAW that i will do the mixing on. 1.61 GHz AMD, 1 GB RAM.
Ecen though the specs are relatively the same. i find that i can run more inserts and sends on the DAW. Way more like 2 or 3 times more.

i didn't even think about an external HD. thanks. what speed drive do you recommend? i know firewire is faster than USB.

thanks for the replies. anymore thoughts keep them comin please.

Back