mixing with sonar

starfox

Why is it that when I go to mix tracks in console view, if I adjust the slider on a track they just shoot back to the level I recorded that track at? Also Is there some sort of wave editor in sonar where I can cut peaks and so on?

star fox.... great game... anyways

well i use sonar 3 but, my guess would be that you have some sort of automation on. do you use envelopes at all in sonar? if not, look into applying those as they are a super cool feature. Rarely do i find that i want a fader set to a scertain spot for an entire song. Insted i use track view and draw envelopes to changes that fader's position at various points throughout the songYou can use envelopes to automate tons of stuff in sonar including panning, volume, effects parameters, etc.

Cool ! yeah Ill go to envelopes. Do you know of any way to modify the wave, like if I accidentlly hit a bad note righ before a good one can I remove the bad note without a total audio dropout on that track?

Starfox, Great game I agree! :D

well...
sonar really isn't a wave editing program, i wish they would build something on sonar for this but nothing yet. I have a setup i like though. some kind soul wrote a nice little program that lets you integrate other programs with sonar and add them to sonar's tools menu. With this i have cool edit pro 2.0 integrated with sonar. so for example i select a track in sonar and go to tools, then select cool edit pro. This open that track up in cool edit pro for me to edit the waveform. The changes are saved to the .wav and in sonar as well...

cool edit pro is a really good and easy to use wave editor. many others like sound forge but i've never used it. There's also wavelab but that's too complicated for me...haha.

starfox said:
Cool ! yeah Ill go to envelopes. Do you know of any way to modify the wave, like if I accidentlly hit a bad note righ before a good one can I remove the bad note without a total audio dropout on that track?

Starfox, Great game I agree! :D

If you're using a fairly recent version, there's a clip-mute tool that can be set to granularity as low as (I think) a 32nd note. That might work.

minofifa said:
well...
sonar really isn't a wave editing program, i wish they would build something on sonar for this but nothing yet. I have a setup i like though. some kind soul wrote a nice little program that lets you integrate other programs with sonar and add them to sonar's tools menu. With this i have cool edit pro 2.0 integrated with sonar. so for example i select a track in sonar and go to tools, then select cool edit pro. This open that track up in cool edit pro for me to edit the waveform. The changes are saved to the .wav and in sonar as well...

cool edit pro is a really good and easy to use wave editor. many others like sound forge but i've never used it. There's also wavelab but that's too complicated for me...haha.
Is this a commercial app. Or did someone you know write it. Sounds great where Can I get it?

If I export a track from sonar into cool edit when I bring it back into sonar will it match up?
You would think they would just build this into cakewalk

starfox said:
Is this a commercial app. Or did someone you know write it. Sounds great where Can I get it?

If I export a track from sonar into cool edit when I bring it back into sonar will it match up?
You would think they would just build this into cakewalk

yup when you change the .wav in cool edit, it stays where it is supposed to stay in cakewalk. It is a free tool that does this, i dont' know where i found it, but i can probably send it to you if you want it.

minofifa said:
well...

I think there's an app already (might be a dxi plug-in) built in on Sonar 4 producer, ReWire but not really sure how to use it though......but anyway do you know if it works with Fruity Loops and can you send me that program too? (dondon85@yahoo.com)

no, rewire isn't a dx or vst really

Rewire is kindof a communications technology, for extreme lack of a better understanding on my part. I use rewire to let propellerhead reason and sonar communicate with each other. i can do my midi and sampling work in reason, wich i prefer, and have it slave to sonar. For example when i hit play in soar, a drum track that i created in reason will play also in sync with what is playing in sonar, really nifty.

The cakewalk tools app that i sent to starfox should allow fruityloops to be used within sonar as well. I don't see why it wouldn't.

For Simple little edits I use Audacity, Its a freeby just do a search and you will find it. You can open it from sonar.

-Blaze

Dfyant said:
I think there's an app already (might be a dxi plug-in) built in on Sonar 4 producer, ReWire but not really sure how to use it though......but anyway do you know if it works with Fruity Loops and can you send me that program too? (dondon85@yahoo.com)

I'll pass it along to ya BIG THANKS TO MINOFIFA!!! This is a great little app!

Back