Mixing with Mackie SRM450

Peterl

The Mackies are powered speakers. If/when connecting them to a digital recorder to mix is there a concern with the kick drum being too much for them and possibly damaging them? They have 12" speakers and a horn. I'm new at this and worried about the low frequency of the kick drum.

You can damage any speaker if you push it hard enough, and you can put any signal through a speaker safely if you don't push it too hard.

It is not so much the frequency that could damage the speakers but the signal strength/loudness. Just plug it in at low volume and then gradually increase volume. If it starts distorting it is too much for the speakers and you should turn back the volume.

The SRM450 was one of the early affordable modern powered speakers. They are heavy, and they are known to overheat and fail a bit more often than they should. But that's usually when using them in large rooms or outdoors at concert volume. If you're using them in a studio size room, I doubt you'll push them too hard. I think the bigger question is, are you sure they are sonically appropriate for a recording studio control room?

You can damage any speaker if you push it hard enough, and you can put any signal through a speaker safely if you don't

The SRM450 was one of the early affordable modern powered speakers. They are heavy, and they are known to overheat and fail a bit more often than they should. But that's usually when using them in large rooms or outdoors at concert volume. If you're using them in a studio size room, I doubt you'll push them too hard. I think the bigger question is, are you sure they are sonically appropriate for a recording studio control room?
No they are not best choice but its what we have at moment. Neither of us know how to mix and I've always used headphones. I just wonder if a kick drum with little processing would cause damage. Thinking we should get some proper monitors.

Back