mixing with a subwoofer

gianelli280

I was wondering how prevalent mixing using a subwoofer is. I've found it to mask a lot of the bottom end coming from my monitors, so i usually check it every now and then for mud. Is this something done after a lot of mixes, or are sub freq's constantly being checked? It seems like at monitoring levels it would only get in the way of everything.

I don't mix with a sub. I don't know whether that is good or bad, but I haven't felt a need to . . . and, like you, I think "it would only get in the way of everything".

I myself use a sub with two of my monitor sets. I find it necessary for the heavy rock mixes I typically do. I do however run it fairly low in volume and check without it regularly. My mixes translate better after adding the sub.

I've found it to mask a lot of the bottom end coming from my monitors

Then it isn't set up properly. What frequency is the crossover set to? Is the polarity correct?

My home system has a sub and I listen to everything with it on. About 95% of what I hear sounds better with the sub on. Once in a while I hear something I know was mixed on little speakers because of the garbage in the bottom octaves. The most common thing I hear is plosive booms from microphones used without pop filters. Locally produced and/or low budget TV and radio programming is the worst but even national level stuff can have these problems.

I also use a sub, I regularly turn it off to check that the mix is ok without it but I use it to check for a muddy bottom end and strange low frequency rumbles. I also like using it on rock and dance mixes for that kick thump, however the kick and should still be heard when you turn the sub off.

The sub should also be correctly calibrated with the monitors to ensure that the crossover, phase and level are set correctly.

Alan.

i am just going to put this out there. i dont have a sub my hs50m only go down to 50hz i believe so i check the end in my urbanz dj style headphone that have a frequency responce all the way down 2 5hz i know its not the best method but i find that i works.

I do use a subwoofer, and find it very useful for hip-hop and electronica in particular. The main danger with using one, though, is that you turn it up too far, and it ends up skewing all your mixing decisions. You have to use it just to extend the low-end 'reach' of your listening system, not to make things sound obviously 'bassier'.

Why would someone turn their sub up at all once it is properly calibrated?

That says it all, I just had to replace my old sub, the internal amp kept shutting down tell I hit it ha ha not a good look, with a new one, a jbl LSR231SP. I have spent almost a day in time calibrating the sub. How I do it is to run a test CD with frequency sweeps and frequency tones. I check that the transition between the crossover where the monitors loose the lows and the sub picks them up is smooth (crossover point). Then I check that the actual volume of the sub is set so that it is not under or over powered compared to the monitors.

I then listen to several commercial CD's of different genres to see it what I have set up translates to what I hear. I go back and forth several times between calibration and listening tests until I am happy that I am getting a true indication of the mix.

When checking commercial CD's there is a large difference in sub between dance, rap, rock, Ballard, classical, etc, and the sub should reflect this truly. For example in some commercial rock there is very little sub but with the same settings dance music thumps, as it should.

The main problem with subs in the studio is when people turn them up too high, they are there for low end extension to check the low for mud/clarity, not to be a club PA system.

Alan.

I think, That will depend on the monitors you are using, the room they are in, the content of the songs and how you ensure that your mixes translate from system to system. Choose a subwoofer to match your room. Unfortunately, even in small rooms, proper subwoofers don't come cheap. Room modes are common in small mixing studios. This can cause peaks and dips in frequency response in the bottom two octaves: - 20-40 Hz and 40- 80 Hz. You can often position the subwoofer to deliver flat requency response, but you can't often move main speakers.

...or you could just go stand in one of the corners where all the sub-frequencies like to hang out. :D

I mix with a sub. Set it so you have even freq response down as low as you can get and dont touch it again. Why WOULDN'T you want to hear what's going on down in those lows? Chances are other will be listening with a sub too, what if it's all wonky and you have no idea cuz you can only playback down to 60Hz or something..

I mix with a sub. Set it so you have even freq response down as low as you can get and dont touch it again. Why WOULDN'T you want to hear what's going on down in those lows? Chances are other will be listening with a sub too, what if it's all wonky and you have no idea cuz you can only playback down to 60Hz or something..

Exactly.......

I really have to mix with a sub, because my mains are rear-ported, and are way too weak on bass by themselves. I just recorded music I knew, and then listened to it in the car (and got my head blown off by excessive bass). Then I turned the sub's gain down, and did it again, and again, until I heard what I expected to hear, then I never moved that gain knob again. I think that's "hack" calibration, but it worked for me.-Richie

I just recorded music I knew, and then listened to it in the car (and got my head blown off by excessive bass). Then I turned the sub's gain down, and did it again, and again....

Maybe it's a typo on your part...but if you turned DOWN the low end, won't that make you add more low end to the mix...?

Back