Mixing Vocals! help please

Zachyboy4

Im trying to mix vocals to a song that changes in overall volume about every 8 bars or so. But its pretty challenging not to end up with really loud in your face vocals for 8 bars, and then all of a sudden having vocals that are just a touch too low in volume.

Is there some technique to getting this sort of thing right?

Most vocals you've ever heard on a record are compressed much more than you'd expect. On modern rock records, more than 20db is common (although it might not be happening all on one unit).

After that, many mixers put dynamics back into the track by riding (or automating) faders.

hm.. well ive tried to automated the fader and it turned out pretty noticable. im not sure about compressing it more then 20db.. but ill give it a try. ha thanks

hm.. well ive tried to automated the fader and it turned out pretty noticable. ..

The loud and softer parts could come out (or want to be) rather different sound styles. If there's not a solution in getting their volume right maybe that's why.

im not sure about compressing it more then 20db.. but ill give it a try. ha thanks
..The other end of the extreme- Fader rides = the neutral way to go, compression (can extend into) the effected' side- altering the wave envelope there.

Somewhere inbetween the two methods generally..

What DAW are you using?

Im using logic pro 9. I should, of also pointed out that all but one of the sounds is midi.
.The other end of the extreme- Fader rides = the neutral way to go, compression (can extend into) the effected' side- altering the wave envelope there.
i went through and compressed the track to about 25db and it did sort of improve my dilemma. Im thinking about maybe trying to compress the whole song after I export it, but i'm thinking that might exceed my knowledge in compressing. Should i try that or is that a waste of time? and if not how would you go about setting up the compressor? (knowing that you havent heard the project, but what would be the main idea?)

Im using logic pro 9. I should, of also pointed out that all but one of the sounds is midi.
i went through and compressed the track to about 25db and it did sort of improve my dilemma. Im thinking about maybe trying to compress the whole song after I export it, but i'm thinking that might exceed my knowledge in compressing. Should i try that or is that a waste of time? and if not how would you go about setting up the compressor? (knowing that you havent heard the project, but what would be the main idea?)
Really the range is so wide, without hearing it there's no way to say.
Start with 2:1 ratio, get you feet wet, find out what 10 or 20 ms attack sounds like vs 60, a 100 or more. Play with 50-100ms release vs 600. One's more forward in you face' sound, slower is more pulled back.
You have to ask (yourself) what's sticking out that you want it to grab? Big chunks, small, percussion hits?

In Cubase, if there are just a few passages here and there on a take that jump out or are a bit weak, I will just cut the event (waveform) before and after the part, and pull the gain handle to adjust before even attempting any compression. Good for editing p's and b's and s's with a fade in as well. If there are two or more distinctly different parts within the track, I will drag them to another track.

I typically will record the first vocal take as one long track, during which, I watch for any peaking/weak levels etc, among sections of the song. I then record the next passes of verse, bridge, and chorus on their own respective tracks from the get go, adjusting preamp accordingly for the parts. I am almost always processing different sections within a song differently anyway. This just gets me organized the way I will want during mixing in advance. :D

Im trying to mix vocals to a song that changes in overall volume about every 8 bars or so.

Is the vocal supposed to change in volume like that...or is this the result of a poor vocal recording, where the singer was loud/soft unintentionally?

If the vocal is supposed to do that...then the music has to follow.

If it was unintentional and you need to make the vocals the same level throught...then simply cut up the vocal track into sections, either word for word, phrase for phrase (I do this with every vocal track so I can better tweak)...or into loud/soft sections.
Then simply either raise the volume of the soft sections or lower the loud ones until the whole track is balanced...then adjust the whole track volume relative to the music (or vice versa).

I also get the feeling that all your music is just one constant loud level, since you mentioned MIDI tracks...so you might need to work on your dynamics, otherwise it will all sound like a constant drone.

If it's a really huge problem that the vocals are significantly out of whack with what's going on in the song it might be worth a retrack and have the vocalist sing quieter in the the quiet parts and louder in the loud parts. You'll still probably use compression to smooth things out and fader rides to develop the vocal through the song but you won't need massive gain redction from the compressor and huge fader moves to get things to sit right at the expense of a vocal that sounds natural and good.

Generally I find if I am having to make massive amounts of processing on a track just to get it it to fit (unless it is for a very special, unnatural effect) it often means the track wasn't recorded appropriately and a retrack will work and sound a lot better than trying to jam that square peg into a round hole

what's sticking out that you want it to grab? Big chunks, small, percussion hits?

uh. well the vocals are going over he verses of the song, and the verses are split into two parts, the first part has hihats, snare and a stepped synth, and the second part or phrase adds in a bass synth, kick, and another higher pitched synth on top of what the first part has.

so what stands out the most is the kick and bass sound.

Back