Mixing Vocal Volume Using Gain

Help Help

Hey, this may seem an odd question. But in the past I've tended to get the right volume for different parts of a vocal track by meticulously going through the waveform, highlighting whichever little part needed some extra volume or less volume and adding the seemingly appropriate level of gain. I'm unsure of how to properly use compression and the like, but I'm not sure I like the idea of using it anyways. Is there any reason that such a method is a bad idea to try to get proper dynamic levels across a track as dynamic as vocals?

Slightly increasing noise is not noticeable really and not too much of a concern. Thanks!

If you're not using any dynamics processing then there's not much difference between gain and volume.

I often do what you do except then I compress it and then I automate the volume fader. Evening out levels with gain helps drive the compressor more consistently, automating the fader fits the vocal with the dynamics of the song.

Hey thanks so much for the reply! I'm glad to know I'm not that for off with what I've been doing. Without using processing, couldn't I just adjust the gain to fit the dynamics of the song as I see fit? That is, while of course I can do whatever I want, is there any serious drawback to avoiding processing(other than gain)?

Hey thanks so much for the reply! I'm glad to know I'm not that for off with what I've been doing. Without using processing, couldn't I just adjust the gain to fit the dynamics of the song as I see fit? That is, while of course I can do whatever I want, is there any serious drawback to avoiding processing(other than gain)?

Whether it's a drawback or not is subjective, but manually adjusting gain isn't the same as compression. Compression is consistent, fine and automatic (once set) while manual level adjustments are arbitrary, gross and time consuming.

I use compressors to get the sound of a compressed vocal, not necessarily to even out the level in the mix. I will do the same thing you do, in order to feed a consistent level to the compressor.

Back