mixing to vcr

moo

Talking to my friend the other day we were discussing mixing to a hi stereo vcr.He said that the newer cheaper models were not as good as the old ones, because they do not have the frequency response . Is this correct? If so do the higher end machines have better specs?. I spend so much time in the forum section I forgot about the main page. got a lot of info there. Gonna try it on my RCA machine. thanks Moo

[This message has been edited by moo (edited 03-15-2000).]

Hey Moo,

Iv'e got a newer Panosonic HiFi VCR. Works great. Check out Sound Check in mp3 clinic, I did that one bouncing from DCC deck to VCR.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT:
Hey Moo,

Iv'e got a newer Panosonic HiFi VCR. Works great. Check out Sound Check in mp3 clinic, I did that one bouncing from DCC deck to VCR.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info.Later. Moo

Hey Moo,

I just hope that you're talking about a vcr that you already own, because if you're buying a new one you may want to consider buying a minidisc player/recorder for about the same amount (< $200)

Rev E

Rev E

I was using an old VCR for external bounces and mixdowns but had to stop since it sounds like the motors are starting to go. I was thinking about another VCR until I saw your idea.

Is this something you've tried? Does anyone have any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rev E:
Hey Moo,

I just hope that you're talking about a vcr that you already own, because if you're buying a new one you may want to consider buying a minidisc player/recorder for about the same amount (< $200)

Rev E
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Rev I thought this idea was so good I went to Radio Shack to inquire about one. The sales lady looked at me like I was from another planet. Where else should I look?
I check the hock shops all the time.
Thanks for the tip .
Later.Moo

Anything that says Sony and HiFi VCR is what you need. Got to watch your setups on this one, make sure the inputs are switched to the "L" indicator on the LED screen. Give it about 5 seconds to actually start recording. Would recommend, highly on these units, to download flat. Maybe tweak highs, mids, lows from the mixer itself. But don't go..... mixer>effects>Eq's>VCR. You'll be re-recording your downloads. Trust me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmoe:
Anything that says Sony and HiFi VCR is what you need. Got to watch your setups on this one, make sure the inputs are switched to the "L" indicator on the LED screen. Give it about 5 seconds to actually start recording. Would recommend, highly on these units, to download flat. Maybe tweak highs, mids, lows from the mixer itself. But don't go..... mixer>effects>Eq's>VCR. You'll be re-recording your downloads. Trust me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm almost ready to try this little experiment.
I have to redo the vocal tracks first. I'll let you know how it works for me. Thanks again guys. What a great site!.
Later moo.

Moo,

I got a Sony SONY MZR37 from Circuit City for $179. It's a pretty good unit for what it's worth. I looked around a little on several websites, and this was the best price that I found for this.

If there's not a Circuit City in your town, you could order it from their website at www.circuitcity.com

I have a DAW for recording, but I use the MD for doing mobile stuff, recording sound effects, etc. The sound quality is good (for what I use it for). BEWARE, there's a Sharp minidisc unit for around the same price. Don't fool with it. It does not have a line out. The Sony unit has both a headphone and line out on 1/8" phono plugs. So it's a better bet for recording and sending to a mixer or soundcard.

I hope this post isn't too late.

Rev E

Back