mixing theatrical vocals

I've done sound for about half a dozen musicals. First thing is does each performer have their own headset? The lower the quality head set the more noise they generate. I had to do one show where all the had were lapel clip mics. That was a noise nightmare. Try to get a decent preamp for the lead actors. Watch high frequency ring. Use the low roll off on the board channel. Have a script to put in your cues. When an actor leaves the stage be sure to mute their mic. This is very important or can be very funny. My favorite comment from an actor just comming off stage "oh f*ck, I got to pee so bad" The auidence really does not need to hear that. You, the sound engineer, have to know the show. An actor may be on stage for an entire scene but may have only a few lines. Keep their fader low so not to pick up breathing and other unwanted stage noises but be ready for their lines.
If this is a musical usually there are a lot of costume changes. If possable someone needs to be working with costume so the thin cable that goes from the pack to the mic does not get ripped apart. Another issue with musicals is many actors sweat like crazy durning the show. Protect the mic pack. Funny as it sounds place the mic pack in a condom. It will protect it from mositure.
Sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but this should be a start.

Is there anything specific you were hoping to hear...? I could write a book on mixing live theatre... But I'm not going to do it here. :eek: :D

Back