Mixing the Snare

mikemoritz

On the latest tune I'm mixing, I'm having trouble with the snare coming through the really distorted sections. Should I remix and do everything around the snare? Or should I maybe try and get the snare a little more even? Any suggestions? It's like, there, but it sounds kind of like it's in the background. If I push it any louder, then the peaks start to clip the mix.

Mike

I'd try to find the frequency the snare "lives" at (by sweeping the eq the ol' fashioned way) and cut it the same frequency (narrow) from the guitars. This will help give the snare a little breathing room in the mix.

Compression, my friend

Try a little compression on the snare, so you'll get it even.
That's the way to do it, but if the drummer played it even, then it should sound that way! Unless you are putting too much guitar on it...try to keep it "real" unless that is not what you want.

For the peak issue, compression will help also. Try a VERY smooth limiter...

Peace...

PC

I agree with Powercouple totally. Add some compression to the snare. I go to tape with compression on the snare.Tends to give it more punch. Also tunning is so very much the key. Ive had drummers with crappy recording snare..period. I since bought an old Ludwig Acrilite snare at my drummer advise. I let him pick it out. Now if there is a snare question, Ive got one that I know will record well. I tune the head down a little for a fatter sound, tighter for snappier.

BUT...

...also be careful if you are going to tweak EQ on the snare, because some lo cut will be ok, but if you go on too much will make it sound like a sleeper hitting a wooden table. (Happened to me on my first recording)

Also be sure that it is on phase with the snare sound coming from other sources (overheads mics, Bass drum mic...etc), because if you do noy have it in phase it will sound thin and indinstinct. Phase it up with the others and it will really fatten up!

Peace...

PC

Add nice short room reverb on snare in that distorted part.
Under 1 sec decay, and use first reflections - if possible use only first reflections combined with predelay ( 5-30 ms ).
It sounds bit unnatural soloed, but really enhance snare in loud mix.

I think it could very well be a phasing issue, but how would I go about "phasing it up" with the other mics? Other than that, thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

It doesn't sound like a phase issue by the way you describe it (it only gets weak during a busy part). It sounds like it's fighting for room in the frequency spectrum with other sources. If it's a phase issue, it would sound thin and strange all the time. If you're working in a DAW you can examine the drum tracks in a wave editor and compare their phase relationships.

100 % agree with Track Rat

I am just trying to see all the possibilities.

It happened to me once, a snare out of phase disappeared in the "heavy" parts. But that was because being "off-phase" made it lose frequencies (they were being canceled) and in the soft part you could not notice it because it had room for "breathing" in between the other instrument's freqs...

Peace...

PC

Yes, yes, it's true but...

..I also agree with the cutting possibility, but bear in mind that guitars and snare share A LOT of frequencies... so if you cut some guitar to make the Snare more prominent, the guitar will lack some part of its sound spectrum...and that is not good either.

It's a difficult issue, just play around with all the possibilities you have. Tweak around a bit to see what happens (keep always an undo possibility).

Peace...

PC

Back