Mixing the bottom end, below 1K

DM60

I am getting ready to start recording again. Took off after a pushed out Dirt Roads. I needed a break, but I think I will be starting back soon.

The one area I struggle with is getting bass right and then cleaning up that mud. It is such a fine line between mud and warmth. What tips do some of you guys use to get that right? I was listening to Al Stewart's "On The Boarder" and the engineer was getting such good bass sound, punchy, clean, low but not boomy. I really would like my next album to get that bass sound as perfect as possible.

Yea, I get that, but I wondering are there frequencies that need attention? That sort of thing. For example, one thing I do is I listen to the guitars and if I don't hear anything that sounds good on them in the lower range, I start to roll off around 400. Trick I try if cutting the bass around 90-100 for the kick.

I was wondering where is the magic frequencies for the bass? Like I said, I heard these recordings and just shocked how musical the bass sounded, yet still performed its primary duty of being the bottom.

I have some ideas when I go back to recording, but was wondering if there were any secret sauce some of the folks here might have. I have heard some really good mixes that know how to pull it off, and I do think it is just more than monitors. Some people just know.

I think there is often some narrow range in the bass that mucks things up, but the particular center frequency varies depending on the source in question. I often find I have to dig around between 50 and 150Hz on the bass guitar to find the culprit.

I think there is often some narrow range in the bass that mucks things up, but the particular center frequency varies depending on the source in question. I often find I have to dig around between 50 and 150Hz on the bass guitar to find the culprit.
Thanks, and to your point, the old disclaimer, "Your mileage may vary"

I'll look at that area, but I often think, nah, there is not much down there. I will look closer the next time, see if I find any nasties in that region. It is one of those things when doing the mixing, you don't always trust your ears.

but I often think, nah, there is not much down there. I will look closer the next time, see if I find any nasties in that region. It is one of those things when doing the mixing, you don't always trust your ears.
I'm the very opposite. I honestly haven't a clue about specific frequencies and 40 Hz and 900 KHz or whatever. I really do just use my ears. By now, I think I know when the bass or another instrument is muddy to the extent that it's getting in the way and I just play about with the EQ and other things {simple things like volume, panning and effects or lack thereof} until I find the clarity I'm looking for. I suppose it seems like I go around the houses to achieve the result I want, but so be it. I'm nosey and I like looking in peoples' houses....

I always say that the arrangement is a huge factor. That said, no matter what other instruments are used, at some point I will solo the bass and drums to make sure they work together. The kick and bass together are key. Then I make sure that the lower range of guitar and keyboard are not interfering. If I get it right everything can be heard and sounds clean.

I always say that the arrangement is a huge factor. That said, no matter what other instruments are used, at some point I will solo the bass and drums to make sure they work together. The kick and bass together are key. Then I make sure that the lower range of guitar and keyboard are not interfering. If I get it right everything can be heard and sounds clean.
I would agree on this approach as a "general" rule. I asked the question since I still can't seem to get what I am looking for. Maybe you are right, it isn't the mix, but the sound just isn't there. That might be where I need look harder.

When I find that there's no "right" level for the bass (as an instrument or the general lower range of the bass guitar or kick drum), I find that there's often a narrow offending frequency peaking above the rest.

Clarity in a bass instrument capture is always about how well its played at the capture. Not every bass player, no matter how many notes and cool techniques they can employ, sound clean and clear when recording. Bass guitar is all about the fundamental of the song being heard and moving the arrangement to its exciting and hopefully quality end. The right hand technique has to be spot on no matter what it is.....pick/fingers/thumb/etc....When you are hearing that kind of really big and clear bass like you've used as an example, you are listening to a real pro playing it. And in this case you're also listening to Alan Parsons' production and recording skills.

I am getting ready to start recording again. Took off after a pushed out Dirt Roads. I needed a break, but I think I will be starting back soon.

The one area I struggle with is getting bass right and then cleaning up that mud. It is such a fine line between mud and warmth. What tips do some of you guys use to get that right? I was listening to Al Stewart's "On The Boarder" and the engineer was getting such good bass sound, punchy, clean, low but not boomy. I really would like my next album to get that bass sound as perfect as possible.
I would recommend a Tech21 Bass Driver DI into a DBX286. Then when you mix in the daw, you want a big but narrow dip at 32, 65, 135, 315, 630 and 1.5K Which to some people doesn't make sense until you throw some drums in to mix.

Back