Mixing Techniques (live show)

FURY101

hello again !! well, i recorded a live show threw the board, and took a digital recorder to capture the audience with. Will i have issues with latency between the board recording and the portable recorder?

run the digital recorders outputs to a couple tracks on the board and mix to taste...

yeah you will most likey have phase issues unless you are careful with the placement and volume of the "audience/room" tracks in relation to the mix from the board.

if you plug the "audience/room" mics into the board then it will be easier to find a good position for them by monitoring from the board while listening to the other tracks.

I've not done this but here's a few logical points that might apply or to watch for.
If they were both digi' recorders likely you won't see huge time drifts between them, but if there are you could split in sections perhaps to slide one or the other. Likely it would be the purer direct path parts from the naturally delayed audience recorder where audible combing or whatever would show up. And here the same rules combining all things offset; Short offsets shows up in the 'top end' first, 50-50 mix gives the deepest aberrations, and the diffuse stuff doesn't 'comb cause it's random.
:)

^^^ yup

if i were to use those ambiance tracks i would mix them low overall.

like mixsit said the level of the ambiance track will also affect the amount of "phasing/latency/combing/etc"

one trick you could try if your plucky...

1) run ambiance tracks into board
2) flip phase on ambiance tracks (both of them)
3) put on head phones
4) run pink noise at line level through the house monitors

on this next step try either 5a or 5b

5a) move ambiance mics until you find a position where you are CANCELLING the most sound from the house monitors i.e. the postion sounds the thinest/ most phased out

5b) put the mics wherever and move the volume on their channel until you are CANCELLING the most sound from the house monitors i.e. the postion sounds the thinest/ most phased out

6) flip phase back

7) enjoy hugh sound

8) profit

I've not done this but here's a few logical points that might apply or to watch for.
If they were both digi' recorders likely you won't see huge time drifts between them, but if there are you could split in sections perhaps to slide one or the other. Likely it would be the purer direct path parts from the naturally delayed audience recorder where audible combing or whatever would show up. And here the same rules combining all things offset; Short offsets shows up in the 'top end' first, 50-50 mix gives the deepest aberrations, and the diffuse stuff doesn't 'comb cause it's random.
:)
thankz!!!!

Back