Mixing Rock Vocal...

Clemie

Cute member
Hi all there...
1rst : I know how to do with Compression, but I didn't understand at all about 4:1, 3:1, 10:1 etc. Can anybody give any clear explanations about these mean?

2nd : I record some rock band with lead vocal like somewhere betwen James Hetfield (Metallica) and Bruce Springstein. I have a nice pretty hot vocal track down here, and I am about to mix it. Does anybody have any tips and clue about the EQ, FX setting, Compression things, etc for me to go with the vocal ? I know it would be vary and subjective, but anything would be appreciated, just to make my starting point generally. Thank you so much...

BTW, I record with CWPA 9, and several plug ins including Waves ( Nice C1 !!! ), Cake FX pack 1, 2, 3, and Native. I'm gonna mix using 'em.

Clemie said:
Hi all there...
1rst : I know how to do with Compression, but I didn't understand at all about 4:1, 3:1, 10:1 etc. Can anybody give any clear explanations about these mean?

http://24.61.194.88/

2nd : I record some rock band with lead vocal like somewhere betwen James Hetfield (Metallica) and Bruce Springstein. I have a nice pretty hot vocal track down here, and I am about to mix it. Does anybody have any tips and clue about the EQ, FX setting, Compression things, etc for me to go with the vocal ? I know it would be vary and subjective, but anything would be appreciated, just to make my starting point generally. Thank you so much...

BTW, I record with CWPA 9, and several plug ins including Waves ( Nice C1 !!! ), Cake FX pack 1, 2, 3, and Native. I'm gonna mix using 'em.

It's so subjective as you said that I really can't give you a suggestion with out hearing it in the mix.

First define a problem if it exists and thats how you approach it.

*Does your vocal have a offending freq content? - you might need a drop of multiband compression.

*Is it losing focus in the mix? - you might have a level problem
and might need compression with out use of a makeup gain or you might need to pump it up with gain and heavier compression.

* Is it only peaking a drop here and there? then you might need a drop of limiting.

Etc..etc..

Thank you

Thank you Shailat.
Your general advice about compressor & limiter was helping alot. A newbie here also need a hints and tips to get the vocal to be close like the classic "Born to run" or "The Unforgiven". Lets say the dry track has a warm and proper signal level. Does it take some Chorus ? Reverb ? or may be other kind of plug ins ? Just a general hints & tips would be great. I'm still learning here, so having a clue to be tried will do me fun of doing an experiments. Thanks in advance.
James, do you have any hints ?

Try dropping the monitor volume very low{bairly audible}..then bring the vox up to the point where you can make out what the singer is saying..this is a good starting point for the lead vox level..works for me...Get your levels before you club the signal with EQ/compression etc.Also after EQ/compression do it again!YMMV.Good luck

Don

You may also listen from the next room. This alos often helps to find out whether you can still hear the vox...

aXel

Thanks Don..., aXel...
I just did what Don suggest, and have the voice straight in place first time. Good starting point. When I "bake" it, I found short delay with short decay time works better than reverb. Put the vocal in the "same stage", but few step closer to "audience" than other band member. But when I close my eyes I feel he's too "flying" rather than on stage. Standing "on the top of the drummer". I'd rather leave guitars alone, they placed perfect, balance & on spot. So I think there must be sumthin with "center stage player" like Kick, Bass, or even light orcherstral pad back there... any comment ?

Love
Mama Clemie

High!

The delay may give that feeling of raising into the air... You might try to back off with that a little...

I'm not that sure with the drums... Perhaps you also have too much high end definition and/or not enough verbs on the drums? That should be the stuff to get the drums more backwards... Some guys say, that they give the drums a room for them alone by using a special verb, that no other track gets...

aXel

Back