Mixing/Recording/Mastering Book

Anarchist

Can someone please recommend a good book to start with, I am new to home recording I know there are lotta resources on the net, but I want something which starts with basics.

An excellent book is "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski. I think practically anyone can get a lot out of it, whether a beginner or a pro.

Dave Moulton's "Total Recording" is a great all-rounder, as is Huber & Runstein's "Modern Recording Techniques"...

I have a list of recommended books at the bottom of the Articles page at my site.

I picked up Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" which introduced me to some new ideas and was revision for most of the time.
Only read it through once though, will need to lug it onto the train again soon to 'reinforce' the info in my brain.

Dags

For mastering, Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio". Great book with great perspectives, and some really good exercises for training your ears, which will also help all other areas of recording.

Dags said:
I picked up Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" which introduced me to some new ideas and was revision for most of the time.
Only read it through once though, will need to lug it onto the train again soon to 'reinforce' the info in my brain.

Dags

I remember reading that thinking "could they have made great information any more boring?????"....Great book though.

Ditto on Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio" and Yamaha's "Sound Reinforcement Handbook", I have both those and they are excellent. The Yamaha book I see more as a reference that you go to for specific information, rather than cover to cover reading. Bob Katz's book is worth reading from cover to cover.

Back