Mixing rap vocals

kingpin_478

First off i work with cubase 5 ran through m audio fast track pro interface with audio technica at2020 and a mxl 2006...

I just started mixing rap vocals i just use some presets installed already and i was wondering:
How many stacks should i do recording and how to make the vocals ride the mix not too low and not too high and give it that professional edge
also what would yall prefer oon comp and eq tips/.as i said i jus use presets

and advice will be very much appreciated

o and plz dont tell me use my ears lol i kno theyre my best tool i just need some more tips

I know you don't like it but you need to use your ears. Someone telling you what settings to dial into your comps and EQs (especially not having heard a clip) is no different to you using presets. Neither are desirable. Give it what it needs. Take away what it doesn't.

Also, you don't mix vocals, you mix a tune. There are many ways to process vocals, but it depends what sound you're going for. Obviously you don't want the vocal to be to loud or too quiet. That goes without saying. But if you're trying to mix the vocals around the rest of it, you may have difficulty. Mix it all together.

Look for frequencies that are fighting with each other, and do some narrow cuts. High pass your vocals and take the boominess out. These are just basics. I can't really offer more than that.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Well, you'll probablywant them lower in the mix. Similar basic principles will apply. Again you'll want to high pass them (roll off the lows). You don't want them fighting with your lead vocals, so if it seems they are, apply some cuts to the offending frequencies on the backing vocals. If you aren't sure what frequencies are conflicting (assuming they are), try doing a sweep with a parametric EQ.

Are your BG vocals sung or rapped? Sung hooks will get treated differently than doubles & ad libs.

Also worth noting, the way rappers stack their tracks is part of their art. Every MC I get sent to mix does it a little differently, but generally you'll have a lead, a double, a stab/adlib track, and perhaps some wide or thickener ad libs. This is a pretty common approach.

EQ'ing really depends on the recorded vocal sound and where you want it to sit in the mix.

(Just posted a detailed blog entry on EQ'ing vocals, fwiw... See below...)

Back