Mixing Out Mouth Noises

jhadden1412

Hey All,

Is there any way to mix out mouth noises like lip smacking, clicking etc...? Obviously the goal is to capture a performance without these noises but that doesn't always happen. Just curious if there were any mixing techniques/tricks to getting rid of it or if I'll have to re-do vox/chop up the clips to remove the pesky bits.

Thanks bouldersoundguy. I was afraid of that. Oh well. I have had some success just toying around with the Izotope Nectar 2 Breath Control Plugin but I am not very familiar with it so I guess I'll post back again if I figure it out and it happens to be a good solution to the problem.

Microphone choice might help. I don't get lip smacking noises with an LDC mic, but I understand they would be more likely captured with an SDC mic.

You might be able to reduce the editing chore somewhat with a noise gate. The challenge is that if you set the threshold high enough that a lip-smack won't open the gate, you will likely also gate the initial attack of the actual vocals. But you can play around with the settings and see if it will help. At the very least, you can clean up any lower level clicks and pops that happen where there should be silence. Or re-take.

J

Gate might sound weird to the singer as does compression - it's singer dependent. So try it and see if it helps and doesn't interfere with the singer's groove.
I pretty much always automate between every phrase (unless I want breath noise in for some reason like a ballad) and I open up the wave form and automate the hard c's and k's at the beginning of words if they are too hard. Just chop off a tiny slice of it, not the whole thing.

Back