Mixing onto a master

aknight53

Hi,
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm here to learn. My husband has recorded some of his songs on a Boss BR8 and will be ready soon to mix down to a master. We aren't sure which would be most effective or easier to do. Here are the options: He can borrow a DAT recorder from a friend, he can buy a MD recorder to mix on to, or use our CD burner on our computer. We want to put it on our computer andwe do have Cakewalk Pro , but it is far over our heads. My husband can mix on Dat easiest since it is what he knows best and has done before. We do have SoundBlaster Pro soundcard with digital inputs. I'm leaning to go to what is known-DAT, but since we have the computer and software, should we try that (and spend hours trying to figure it out?) A friend suggested mastering to minidisk, but what I hear, it may not be best quality, especially compared with DAT. If anyone can understand this dilemma and can offer suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

I would go from the Boss to the computer thru the digital ins/outs....you may need a converter in between as discussed in another thread
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26629

The advantage is once its on the computer, you can do editing if necessary.....its as easy as setting up your software to record a track, click record, and press play on your boss...

Look into Goldwave at www.goldwave.com ...it is free and you can edit and record with it....

Thanks, I think we'll go that route. So we use Cakewalk to get the songs on tracks, then convert to wav files and record to CD with Adaptec CD Creator? Does that make sense? Is there any difference in quality by copying a cd once it's made rather than making a cd again from CD Creator?

Back