mixing on computer or out again to mixer

sherbini

hey fellows.
i run a recording studio which relies on ANALOG operations,and i'm in the phaze of transforming into digital,i have a mackie 1604-vlz pro (16 track) i'm intending to work on a computer software (mainly cakewalk 9 proaudio) with a gadgetlabs wave 8/24,i decided to take inputs from the mixer inserts (8 inputs) but after tracking,fx.should i return back to the mixer's other 8 tracks (split monitoring) for final mixing,eqing,mixdown,OR to do all this from the software mixer and out direct from sound card to mixdown device?????
regarding that i want a fixed adjustment setting regarding PATCHING,i don't want to act like a phone operator in here.and regarding my small mixer (only 16 tracks).please advice me in here regarding all my setup (because i havn't done anything yet)

Mixing in your software is cool and all but I have found it to be a PAIN IN THE BUTT once the projects get large. I upgradded from the O3D to the mackie for this reason alone. I now have 16 tracks to play back on and mix. So, mixing in software is possible without quality loss but is time consuming and slow. Get a bigger board and make it digital while your at it.

DBHO

Actually, mixing with software has a LOT of quality loss.

Refer to www.digido.com and read the articles "More bits please", and "Dithering".

But I do agree, stay with the analog mixer.

Ed

Back