Mixing myself or... + virtual instruments

Olijanovi

I was recently hired to compose and produce music for a children's musical. Although it's a children's musical, the music will be as serious as any pop/rock artist ----) Lady Gaga, Beatles, Bob Marley etc.... So no 'I love you, you love me, we're a happy family' type of songs.

I am getting really nice results from home in terms of recording. I record acoustic, classical, electric and bass guitars + I use midi for everything else (piano, drums, percussion etc...) I realize more and more that mixing is a really important stage in my production and I am not well equipped in that manner. Obviously I have a strict budget but I have room to spend on important things.

Should I mix myself?
Should I have it mix by someone else in a home studio?
Should I have it mix by a professional studio person?

There are really differences in prices...

If I go with someone else, if I used virtual instruments from NI, does the person/studio need to own the program in order to mix it?

Should I mix myself?
Should I have it mix by someone else in a home studio?
Should I have it mix by a professional studio person?

Well basically it comes down to this:

1) Are you getting satisfactory results from mixing songs yourself? Do you feel confident in your abilities to get this job done?

If not, then...

2) How much money are you willing to put into this project to get it mixed/mastered?

Well basically it comes down to this:

1) Are you getting satisfactory results from mixing songs yourself? Do you feel confident in your abilities to get this job done?

If not, then...

2) How much money are you willing to put into this project to get it mixed/mastered?

1) I think I do, but I know the importance of mixing and I know that I am not doing everything I should be doing. Compression, eq, reverb, volume, panning etc...

2) I am unsure yet, but I have seen some prices from studios... 200$ a song or 600$ per days. I can't afford 2000$ solely on mixing...

After listening - everything is clearly and cleanly recorded. Nothing strikes me as crazy in this mix freq or level wise. The acoustic 'pops out' of the mix on some chords, no big deal. If this is typical of the instrumentation you will use - I don't see why you couldn't mix this yourself.

As far as your questions regarding licensing - that depends on the EULA (end user license agreement) of the software. It doesn't matter much anyway, as you can render the VSTi output to physical audio tracks (in any daw I know of).

By the way, it's a demo... I hear you about the acoustic guitar popping in some places. I think it's more of a clash between the piano and the guitar (in terms of notes).

Thanks for your feedback, here is the deal though, no songs will have the same instrumentation nor style. I guess I'll have to send troubling songs for mixing.

Back