Mixing Meter

Snowman999

I bought a used Dell computer with Windows 10 and downloaded Reaper. I want to eventually use it to record on. But, I also thought I'd remix my last songs, try to get better mixes and remember what to do with music.

Years ago someone here (I can't find the thread) mentioned a meter (or something) that you could see the mix and if it's too bass heavy or treble heavy. I don't remember what it was called. Does something like this sound familiar? If so, what's it called? Is there someplace I can download a free version?

Also, if there's any good free effects I can download. I have a computer that will work well Reaper. I might as well get a little practice.

I have to remember how to do it. But, there's a way to set up two tracks, and use your regular guitar as a midi guitar. That's pretty cool.

There have been loads of these over the years, and based on the people struggling with their mixes on this forums alone, they patently don’t work for what you want, but they do give you indications of what you are hearing or more often, what you are NOT hearing.

I think the reason is that mix is about your ears, your speakers and your room primarily, but the type of music wrecks auto systems. Take two extremes, drum and bass and pan pipe music (I don’t like either, with a passion) how would any system cope with both of these. You’d need to tell it what it should sound like, and I don’t think it could be explained.

mixing is an art, not really a skill or a craft. You can‘t explain why your hand moves to fader 6 and give it a little nudge.

You want a free solution, but I’m not even aware of a paid for version that anyone has found does the tric.

Back in the 90's I got to work with some early prototype DSP's and my discussions with the product engineering team was laughably interesting. The software engineer claimed that within 10 years, they would have software that replaced us audio engineers. That AI would mix everything, and life would just be great (last part is me interjecting). 30 years later, are we any closer? Much about mixing is subjective and even this art form changes with time.

Don't know if boulder has any input into an observation I've had. The last few concerts I've attended, it seems the vocals are less up front than back when I was working front of house. The bands were Tower of Power, Arrested Development, Michael Franti and Abba the Concert (don't judge me). Is this a trend?

See if this might be what you're describing :
It's something similar. I just found it. It's a spectrum analyzer. Now I have to find reaper free one. I can mix (I'm not terrible). But, help from anywhere I can get it is good. THANKS!

There have been loads of these over the years, and based on the people struggling with their mixes on this forums alone, they patently don’t work for what you want, but they do give you indications of what you are hearing or more often, what you are NOT hearing.

I think the reason is that mix is about your ears, your speakers and your room primarily, but the type of music wrecks auto systems. Take two extremes, drum and bass and pan pipe music (I don’t like either, with a passion) how would any system cope with both of these. You’d need to tell it what it should sound like, and I don’t think it could be explained.

mixing is an art, not really a skill or a craft. You can‘t explain why your hand moves to fader 6 and give it a little nudge.

You want a free solution, but I’m not even aware of a paid for version that anyone has found does the tric.
Mixing is most definitely an art form. I can do it at it's bare bottom. I'm not horrible, I'm just not good. I think my demos are listenable if the person likes the song. I just think they can be better. I remember from this forum being told a "spectrum analyzer" would help. We'll find out in a little while.
Back in the 90's I got to work with some early prototype DSP's and my discussions with the product engineering team was laughably interesting. The software engineer claimed that within 10 years, they would have software that replaced us audio engineers. That AI would mix everything, and life would just be great (last part is me interjecting). 30 years later, are we any closer? Much about mixing is subjective and even this art form changes with time.

Don't know if boulder has any input into an observation I've had. The last few concerts I've attended, it seems the vocals are less up front than back when I was working front of house. The bands were Tower of Power, Arrested Development, Michael Franti and Abba the Concert (don't judge me). Is this a trend?
My sister dated a guy (he went on to be a multi millionaire for something else) who was building the first computerized sound board. It went further than anything before it. He didn't think engineers would ever be replaced. He did think that a lot of what they did could be set and the board would take over. Which is basically how theatre productions are run now.

I recently saw The Chicks (still the best band to come out the past 20 years), and the vocals did seem a little low for my taste. But, I also might just have hearing loss to those frequencies.

It's something similar. I just found it. It's a spectrum analyzer. Now I have to find reaper free one. I can mix (I'm not terrible). But, help from anywhere I can get it is good. THANKS!

Reaper comes with a free Spectrum Analyzer. When you go to add a plugin to the track or Master, you can type in "spectrum" as a search and it will pop up. It may not be the one you're looking for, but it's there.

I'm not really sure what use a spectrum analyser is for mixing. They're great to help you solve potential problems when something gets lost in the mix or always sticks out. They're great for helping you with EQ, but they also need considerable practice at reading in a musical context when they jump about all over the place. Behringer added them to the X32 mixers and let you see what is going on, and what you are actually doing when you are tweaking, but I don't find I need to use one when mixing. The danger is you start to tweak things based on what you are seeing, rather than hearing - like a big narrow spike at 47Hz, so you tweak away at the kick drum to discover it's actually the bass guitar AND the kick adding together. I'd urge caution.

Just Fabfilter ProQ2 or Q3 on the master, it's probably the best analyzer, I use that over ADPTR Metric A/B (which is a fantastic referencing tool still, but it shines elsewhere)

The added bonus is that you can see buildups in the low end probably and make a quick cut on the master to see how it sounds, then you know to go back to the mix, then you have the sidechain function so you can see an overlay of a reference mixes spectrum and also match EQ all in 1. But the actual analyzer is very easy to read. Some of those others have too much slope by default, ProQ3 has a 3db tilt by default so it's much easier to read/use.

Can somebody explain how a spectrum analyser helps you mix if you don’t already understand what’s going on? It’s perfectly possible to interpret the results if you have learned to link eyes and ears, but I’ve spent the summer with the display of my output of live sound displayed on a screen and I don’t think it helps me mix, but it clearly helps me see what goes on. Watching it during a Queen tribute, I could see the bass player’s contribution on another one bites the dust. Every note spiking so it could be followed. Interesting. But where would that fader sit? That’s an ear thing. Same with the kick which was quite close to the bass note in the display, but wider. It’s like having a recipe meter, every ingredient of the chilli displayed on the screen, but how much of each one to make it excellent is down to taste, not the ingredients as a list in the book.

Can somebody explain how a spectrum analyser helps you mix if you don’t already understand what’s going on? It’s perfectly possible to interpret the results if you have learned to link eyes and ears, but I’ve spent the summer with the display of my output of live sound displayed on a screen and I don’t think it helps me mix, but it clearly helps me see what goes on. Watching it during a Queen tribute, I could see the bass player’s contribution on another one bites the dust. Every note spiking so it could be followed. Interesting. But where would that fader sit? That’s an ear thing. Same with the kick which was quite close to the bass note in the display, but wider. It’s like having a recipe meter, every ingredient of the chilli displayed on the screen, but how much of each one to make it excellent is down to taste, not the ingredients as a list in the book.
I mostly use it for stuff I can't hear anymore and occasionally to help locate a frequency that is bothering me. I agree it can't help you if you don't already understand what you are listening to though.

“Dear Father Christmas, I’m a bit short in the musical talent area and want to avoid all these nasty decisions I have to make. Is there a plug in that will let me get all that boring recording and editing done, then press a button to make it sound nice? P.s. it needs to work really well on my small 5” monitors, and also sound good in the big venue with masses of those Watt things“

I would be screwed without it. sometimes my ears tell me that my mix is not bright enough but the analyzer is telling me its fine. i literally have to ignore what my ears are telling me and trust my eyes. when listening to the mix again in the morning its all good! luckily i can get frequency balances and seperation with fatigued ears (within reason) but i just cant judge brightness.

Literally sometimes I have no idea if vocal needs to be brighter, or if the rhythm guitars need to be duller, a quick look at the analyzer and I know straight away.

When mixing the hard hitting chorus's or densly packed tracks I use the entire frequency range and WILL fill in any consistent holes that the spectrum anaylzer picks up on. Which lets me have tracks lower down in the mix while being heard well, which in turn translates beautifully. If I don't approach balancing in that way and try to just wing it by ear, I will end up with a kickass mix that sounds great in my studio only. Example: My first instinct is to listen to the tone of a lead guitar and think to myself, if I eq up a bit at 600hz to fill in this valley a bit, which helps pop the track out of the mix and make it sit perfectly, then am I ruining the tone? and if I think yes.... then I will nudge the whole thing up 1db with the fader instead and it will sound awesome in my studio but when listening on another speaker, that 1db lift becomes far too apparant and the track sits right on top and you get an urge to turn down the speakers when that part comes in. Using the spectrum analyzer can really stop me from making some wrong choices because the lesser of the evil is actually a SLIGHTLY worse tone with the tradeoff that the track gets glued in place and translates.

I can achieve a mix that has everything at the same volume (by perception) and no matter where I listen to the mix everything seems to just sit right. No way can I do that without the spectral display. But I wish I could. Maybe I would have better luck if I was to take my time more and have frequent breaks. I dunno.

It has a sound if you mix that way, and it can be flat and boring, but once you got the flat and boring static mix then you can go nuts. It's the equivellent of mixing in mono where you get the mono mix banging, and then you can go nuts with panning and it will just sound extremely polished and professional.

I am trying not to rely on it. It's a personal goal of mine to scrap it actually. But my ears are going to have to be damn near golden for that to happen.

I can't remember what mixer said it but he was asked (when do you know when the mix is finished? and he replied.... When everyone in the band thinks their instrument is the loudest) The spectrum analyzer is my only hope right now.

I don't use reference tracks by the way until after the mix is pretty much done, the spectrum analyzer is my crutch instead. Some people prefer the reference tracks instead but I am trying to force my ear to learn what a good mix sounds like without references. it's a nightmare but I think if i do it enough....

Last edited:
I am not sure how using a spectrum analyzer would help a mix. It's one thing to visually see a problem area, but in a full mix there can build up of certain frequencies from multiple instruments that can do things like cause muddiness and lack of clarity. That is not something that a spectrum analyzer is going to tell you the source of. Just the outcome. So there still needs to be creative and artistic choices before the final shape of eq and visualizing it will do.

I am not sure how using a spectrum analyzer would help a mix. It's one thing to visually see a problem area, but in a full mix there can build up of certain frequencies from multiple instruments that can do things like cause muddiness and lack of clarity. That is not something that a spectrum analyzer is going to tell you the source of. Just the outcome. So there still needs to be creative and artistic choices before the final shape of eq and visualizing it will do.
100%

It's gotta be used with good judgement along with ears in that instance.

If the analyzer is telling you your mix is bright enough and your ears are telling you that it doesn't sound bright enough though..... I have learned time and time again that I really need to be trusting the analyzer and not what my ears are telling me.

It's just another way of referencing. nothing wrong with it imo. I use all the help I can get because mixing is brutal (if going for silky smooth mixes on every playback system at all listening volumes)

I bought a used Dell computer with Windows 10 and downloaded Reaper. I want to eventually use it to record on. But, I also thought I'd remix my last songs, try to get better mixes and remember what to do with music.

Years ago someone here (I can't find the thread) mentioned a meter (or something) that you could see the mix and if it's too bass heavy or treble heavy. I don't remember what it was called. Does something like this sound familiar? If so, what's it called? Is there someplace I can download a free version?

Also, if there's any good free effects I can download. I have a computer that will work well Reaper. I might as well get a little practice.

I have to remember how to do it. But, there's a way to set up two tracks, and use your regular guitar as a midi guitar. That's pretty cool.
T

The Voxengo SPAN - SPAN is a free real-time “fast Fourier transform” audio spectrum analyzer that will get you want you want, PC and Mac compatible.

Back