Mixing/Mastering resources?

Xipe

I have alot of material that I am currently recording. I have been writing music for close to ten years now, and done a fair share of gigs aswell - but I don't know much about mixing, mastering... or even recording.

Can anyone give me tips, suggest books, or post some good homepages where I can learn more?

Thanks.

Ummmmm....

Not to be a jerk or anything but...the title of this discussion forum is Mixing/Mastering....you'll probably find a lot here. Use the search function in the upper right corner. A good book to check out is "Modern Recording Techniques."

Yo XIPE: [You're not related to Xena are you?]

What you need to do man is get your feet wet. Buy an MD8 recording unit, or a Roland 8 track recorder. [make sure you get at least 8 tracks and it should serve you until you start doing movie backgrounds.]

Once you get the recorder, you'll need some monitors, and a reverb box, unless it's built-in the recorder, some cables, and good vocal mic, and lots of time and patience.

You then record, read this site diligently, and then you mix down your six or seven or even 8 recorded tracks to a CD or DAT or plain cassette tape, depending on your budget.

And, Voila................within a short span of four to five years, unless your name is Jared, you will be into it.

It's fun to learn and in order to mix and master you need to record. Equipment today is very affordable. You need to check out someone's studio or get a partner to start your own studio or do it yourself.

It's a great learning experience that doesn't end.

Green Hornet

Back