Mixing LOW rock music

justwantyou2kno

I'm recording a heavy-rock band. The bass and one guitarist drops to B and the the 2nd guitarist drops to D. I'm not used to recording music this low, and all my trys so far have resulted in very muddy sounding mixes. Does anyone have tips on mixing music this low? Any help would be great.

,Nick

The first question that comes to mind is "why do you think it makes a difference?"

How the talent tunes is not going to affect how you mix their material, unless they're experimenting with the limits of the audio spectrum, and your gear doesn't let your hear it properly....!

When you have low tuned guitars, you should see that the guitar doesn't come in the way of the bass. If it is too low, you get those korn sounds: and your bassplayer doesn't have a lot of work left:)

Seriously, listen to Gasoline from Audioslave for example. That riff is played in lox B tuning, and it fits well in the mix. I think the key is enough midrange in your guitar and turn the bassfrequencies down in your guitars so that wjhen the bass comes in, it makes a wall without being muddy.

Another thing i have found useful for my 7-string is to use a compressor on the channel insert. I set it modestly.

Depending on the setting of my amp, I use the follwing settings:

Threshold of about -8
Ratio of 1:3:1 (maybe a clikc or two towards 2:1)
just below 9 o'clock on the attack and a bit slower on the release

This squishes it ever so slightly to control it without compromising tone.

Our bassist uses 7 string basses and one 8 string (ludricous stringage I know lol). To keep us from crossing into each other's range and killing tones, I do as above and back off on the lower frequencies of the guitar. For my mid-low freq, I sweep it just above center and raise the level a db.

Alot of it has to do with the amps the band is using too. As we all know, some amps sound crunchy and powerful cranked to 11 and hauling wide ass open. try and record it and the sounds comes out as absolute squat.
I recorded in a session with a dropped D volume demon like that. The engineer wound up putting out an OH condensor, a large diaphragm, a couple of 57's aimed at the cabinet, and (of all things) some cheapo Peavey omnidirectional mic. He disengaged all EQ's and recorded natural with each channel dialed in at 0db. Each mic went to a separate track.

He listened to each track independently on playback. He then listened to combinations of them. He wound up using the two 57's after pulling one a bit further away and that dang Peavey mic. The recorded sound was better than the live sound! That Peavey mic picked up all the midrange and left the high's and lows to the 57's. The Peavey was placed right above the guitarist's head pointing towards the 4X12 cabinet. basically, it was placed as close to the ears of the player as possible to see if the engineer could capture what the guitarist was hearing.

Thta evening was a huge learning experience for all of us lol.

At least myself and the bassist knew self control when it came to volume :D

try putting a roll-off on the guitar starting at 150hz or 200hz. and make sure you don't have the guitar completely mid scooped

If you don't have full-range speakers (20-20k) get or rent a sub. Trying to mix lows like this on speakers that aren't allowing you to hear what's going on in the sub range can be frustrating as well as futile.

You might be hearing out of tune instruments as mud. How experinced are these guys? Is their gear set up correctly? Six string guitars are designed to be tuned to E. Detuning the instrument as much as a half step compromises the intonation. Continuing to detune an even greater distance up or down makes it worse.

A tech can do thier best to intonate the instrument but it will still be out of tune at the 6th fret even if it strobes at the 12th. Beyond that it's an issue of finding the best string guage for the pitch/scale length relationship.

Get them to play an F on their B string and see of the guitars are really in tune with each other. If the strings are too light the problem gets worse because it's harder to apply uniform pressure all the time.

Personally I think this ultra low tuning is just a pissing contest (similar to making the loudest CD on the block). If people are going to do it then they should do right. A baritone guitar up a whole step would be better than a standard guitar down a 4th. It's alot harder to find a bari that looks all pointy though.

Good luck

Back