Mixing Levels question

fluxburn

I have this question on levels for music. Its obvious that when you make a mix everything cannot be LOUD. I guess you can try to make everything in the mix equal loudnesses then nothing would be loud correct? So the perception of one thing being loud in the mix is because others are softer?

I make dance music, I notice everyone has loud drums.... well at least the bass. Normally the HH and such are cleary distinct... at least. My question is I have all these melodys throughout the song, its hard to place them in the mix. You have some stuff going then you add new material and you are limited in db range... so it can only be so much louder.

Do you guys recommend pumping everything through a compressor to keep the mix tight... ie db levels super close?

Or should I keep some distance available in the db range to have a more dramatic effect?

Also do you normally mix levels first at like about negative a few db then bring up the whole mix to negative .1 db or do you try to run the levels to the max from the begining?

I have tried both, is one more proper then another persay?

I guess mixing is creative so all these questions are truely subjective... so what is your take.

The first step towards any path of enlightment is understanding the questions. You have done that well grasshopper. The second step, finding the answers, takes the rest of your life.

Personally I like to start with whatever is the essential components of a mix. Usually that will be drums, bass and lead melody (vocals or whatever). Then bring everything in to complement those main elements. If it doesnt help it gets thrown out. Mixing is as much about what you don't use as it is what you do use.

Funny response. Main elements are the key as I can clearly understand, but all that quiet stuff adds to a mix so much. I guess it is confusing and will take the rest of my life to figure it out... so I guess that is why we all love it.

Back