Mixing Job Anyone?

drummerdoug86

I'm in the middle of recording some home demos and am looking for a person to mix them. No, I can't afford to pay anything, just looking for someone who will take this on as a hobby. I'm not that skilled in mixing, which is why I'm asking someone else to do this. I am recording these tracks on a Fostex Mr-8, and will be able to transfer them onto my computer as 16-bit/44.1kHz tracks. It will be easiest for someone who uses the computer for mixing to use as they can be imported on just about any home recording software. Reply here or message me.

Thanks.

Do you live anywhere near Chicago? I'd ba happy to do a barter / trade deal with someone willing to come by and clean my apartment once a month.

Are you good at scrubbing bathrooms? I used to pay a maid 60 bucks per visit, so you could buy a lot of mixing time if you do a good job.

I forgot to mention, space should not be a problem on my e-mail, it can hold up to a gig. And by the way, how many tracks are in the songs, and how many songs are there?

I took a listen to the tracks (one by one) and I can tell you right away some stuff is not gonna be fixable in the mix. Like the "bedroom" sounds on the vocals (treat your room mate ;)). Secondly, the drums. You mixed them all down into 1 mono file per track. That's gonna leave us with very, VERY limited mixing option on the drums, while they are so essential for the song. Not trying to be a dickhead, just beeing honest ;) Thirdly, the guitar tracks (especially 1-Guitar). There's a whole lot of digital clipping baked into the files. That's gonna be pretty hard to get rid of (but a lowpass filter might work). Best retrack them.

I'll mess with them this week and send you what I got.

Halion said:
I took a listen to the tracks (one by one) and I can tell you right away some stuff is not gonna be fixable in the mix. Like the "bedroom" sounds on the vocals (treat your room mate ;)). Secondly, the drums. You mixed them all down into 1 mono file per track. That's gonna leave us with very, VERY limited mixing option on the drums, while they are so essential for the song. Not trying to be a dickhead, just beeing honest ;) Thirdly, the guitar tracks (especially 1-Guitar). There's a whole lot of digital clipping baked into the files. That's gonna be pretty hard to get rid of (but a lowpass filter might work). Best retrack them.

I'll mess with them this week and send you what I got.

i agree on a lot of his comments too. make the drums a stereo track next time you record (unless of course, you were only using one mic). i was confused on the second vocal track and what it was for...it seemed to be an exact copy as the first, so i just deleted it. and yeah, watching the clipping. i think it was more on something that happened at the mic. no only the guitars, but the vocal parts when you were screaming. a mic with a LF rolloff switch on it should fix that.
just something to keep in mind for the future. but i'm havin' fun playing around with them :cool:

Here's the mix of the first song. This really is the best I could do (although I probably overdid the verb on the drums a bit).

The vocals really wouldn't get out of the "bathroom". Hope you enjoy!

Feedback on the mix (for me) is very much welcome aswell :)

Downloadable here:
http://members.home.nl/vangeelen/mixes/

Back