mixing inconsistent bass

singlespeak

Hi all,

So I'm recording something very simple, the bass has two tones (low C and higher G). The difference between these two notes appears to be enough to make the C come through very clearly but the G has much less vibration to it. I'm kind of used to this but in this particular case it's much too obvious, the bass almost disappears on the G (or conversely is too loud on the C). Does anyone have any pointers on how to fix this? I've tried compressing but I can't get it to work, which doesn't mean I shouldn't compress but maybe my settings are wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

using compression to fix large volume differences is not the right way to use the tool.

if you want to tame slight peaks or fluctuations,then sure, go for it, but if your track is all over the place it's not gonna cut it (without sounding crap)

the first thing i'd suggest is re recording, having spent some time working on the tone of the amp and instrument. getting a good balance at the source really is the key.

if this isn't possible, then see if there is a certain point at which eq will either boost the note that's quiet, or cut away the note that's standing out.

the time consuming, but probably most effective option is to volume automate your track. you'd have to go along and program the volume for pretty much every note in the song.

this has the potential to sound really unnatural, but if you take the time and do it well, it could work just fine :)

another thing that just might be worth trying if the rest don't help (thinkin out loud here),
you could tryin duplicating the bass track and compressing the crap clean out of the duplicate. blend the two to taste, so you're always getting the body of the bass in your mix from the compressed track, whilst still retaining the natural dynamics (for the most part) from the dry one.

without hearing anything im not sure I could help, Im also not sure compression is the problem, im no basist either (all my disclaimers), but I generally find the sound Im looking for around the same settings and take it from there

for compression

attack 2-10ms, release 0.5 auto, ratio 4-12.1, knee hard, gain 5-15db

EQ

the bottoms between 50-100hz, the bodys around 400hz, and the top ends around 4khz

I know this is pretty vague but I use a shortscale and a longscale and these areas/settings are where things work for me regardless

remember also you shouldnt really be trying to fix big problems....having the ability to know when to scrap something and start again actually saves time in the longterm (took me ages to get that one)

Fix it by re-recording the bass trak to get a more consistent track. Try playing the part in a different register: eg. C on the 8th fret E string and G 10th fret A string. Better yet- get a real bass player- did he really say that-yes I did! :spank:

Hey thanks guys. Well, here's the deal: it's not a real bass, it's a series of upright bass samples on my Roland piano which sounds really good for what I need. My Roland is touch sensitive but I turned that off for the bass in order to get a consistent sound. So yes, I can re-record (get a real bass even before getting the real bass player :D) but I'll run in to the same problem. So no one's ever experienced a certain bass register to be "louder" (having more vibration seems to be more apt a description) than another one? You know, this stuff about resonant frequency and all that? I'll see if I can post an mp3 snippet so you actually know what I'm talking about.

Monitors?

Maybe it's your monitors. Perhaps the C just happens to land on a peak in their response while the G lands on a dip. Try playing the keyboard through other speakers for a comparison. You can also look at the meters for another reference point.

Or your room might have some major reinforcing / cancelling going on. Is your room treated?

Maybe you can try this: go into Edit mode on your keyboard. You'll probably find that the preset for that string bass sample is already compressed, EQ'd, and who knows what else... turn off all of the effects then try it again.

If the problem persists, turn the touch sensitive thing back on and hit the quiet note harder? I mean that will compensate for it, right?

My personal experience with acoustic basses is that there is significant variation in volume from string to string and up & down the fingerboard as well. This sounds like it was already a problem within the sample that was used. Have you tried a different sample?

the preset for that string bass sample is already compressed, EQ'd, and who knows what else... turn off all of the effects then try it again.
Now there's an interesting thought, never even occurred to me. Touch sensitive back on is definitely an option, I just thought I could practice my compression some (I mean, that IS what it's supposed to do right? Knock back the louds?).

there is significant variation in volume from string to string and up & down the fingerboard as well.
See that's what I was thinking: the difference in volume is just a representation of the instrument so I should just try a different bass.

Thanks man, +2.

with an EQ, take out 3db with a fairly narrow bandwidth at 103hz and add a 3db with a fairly narrow bandwidth at 65hz. Then send that into a compressor. If that doesn't do it, double the frequencies. (dip 206hz and add 130hz)

Sometimes certain notes just jump out on a bass. If you know what frequency that note is, you can just use an EQ to turn down the note that jumps out and/or turn up the note that disapears.

Don't be afraid to crank the crap out of the EQ to get it to do what you want, I just used 3db as a starting point. Keep turning the knob until it works.

BTW, on most stringed instruments, the overtone is an octave above the note that is being played. So if the frequency of the note doesn't work, try an octave above (double the frequency) and maybe an octave above that.

Back