Mixing IN Distortion

kyoun1e

Purchased Cakewalk home studio a couple of weeks ago...just getting my feet wet now. I am a complete beginner with this. Have recorded a couple of songs, but have no clue how to mix in effects.

For example, during recording, I have been manually flipping my amps distortion from high to low which breaks up the song and creates a long pause. What I would like to do is just record the song in one distortion mode and then use Cakewalk to increase distortion in specific areas of the song.

Anyone know how to do this with Cakewalk Home Studio 2002?

Thanks. KY

Plug?

Eh...no clue what that means. I am a neophyte with this stuff. Lucky I can record anything.

Here is my setup:

* Toshiba Laptop
* Cakewalk Home Studio 2002
* M-Audio Pre-Amp
* Hooked up small amp and electric guitar for guitar only recording

Help.

Thanks. KY

Are you miking your cabinet or running direct? If you're miking, it may be hard to add distortion after the fact, and have it sound natural. If it's direct and using an amp simulator, you can dial up different sounds on that for different parts of the song.

One easy way around all this is to record the guitar straight through twice, on two different tracks. Make one the cleaner sound, and the other distorted. Then cut and paste the takes to create what you need.

Skysaw,

I've got my electric guitar plugged into my amp and the amp is then plugged into my M-Audio preamp that is then hooked to my laptop.

No mic.

Others have recommended the multiple track option. Seems to make sense. I've tried this before and I keep on recording in track 1 for some reason...others think it's because I'm not arming the tracks correctly or not setting the inputs on non recording tracks as "none."

Question for you: If I was to create 5 different tracks, how do you paste them together the way you want?

And also, when I start recording there is always a pause for a second or two as I get my...shit together if you know what I'm sayin. Can you wipe out this pause?

Thanks. KY

kyoun1e,

There would be a couple of ways you could do that. You could record 1 track dry then copy it to another track and apply distortion, then using automation you could change the volume of the tracks or even mute one as you un-mute the other track.

When you say create 5 diferent tracks, are you referring to them playing all together at the same time or are you referring to them playing one after the other... actually I think you asked the question in another post didn't you?

Think of the program this way... you have a view... running horizontally you have each track, if each clip is on the same line one after the other, they are the same track. If there are multiple lines they are on different tracks. More than one track can be playing at a time.... hence Multi-track.

As for the pause at the beginning of a song, most songs I record has a 4 second break before I start recording, either as a count in or to 'get my shit together'. At the end I just delete the time from all tracks.. easy.

Porter

Back