"Mixing for Dummies" kind of site

sleejay80

Hi,

I'm just starting out, got all my tracks recorded with GarageBand,
now I need mix.

Can anyone recommend me a "Mixing for Dummies" kind of site, for starters like me?

I know the basics: volume/pan for location, EQ to remove mush, comp to thicken things up, and reverb for airyness.

So I need a real how-to, techniques, 1-2-3 kind of stuff, not just general ideas.

Thanks in advance!

It's not anything you can be taught really, you have to trust your ears and know when something not balanced or is balanced

Just keep at it, read all you can here and other resources. Most of all experiment till mixing becomes second nature to any project that your working on. and constantly be asking questions.
It's not a 1,2,3 kind of process thou i wish it was like that - kind of like learning while your in the matrix in the movie of the same name - it takes years to train your ears and to know what your listening for, let alone knowing your equipment inside and out.

The only 1,2,3 that works:

1- Set everything flat. No EQ. No compressors. No reverb. No panning. No effects. All tracks turned on.

2- Listen to it.

3- Fix what is wrong.

You'd be surprised how many people skip 1 and 2.

The only 1,2,3 that works:

1- Set everything flat. No EQ. No compressors. No reverb. No panning. No effects. All tracks turned on.

2- Listen to it.

3- Fix what is wrong.

You'd be surprised how many people skip 1 and 2.

I think that's mostly because DAWs have made the tracking, mixing, mastering processes feel like one.
I think a lot of people are applying all kinds of FX/Processing as they track/edit...not to mention, many are probably editing as they track.
They record a track or two...then edit and apply FX/Processing...then record a couple of more tracks...etc...
...and that's a bad way to go, IMO...though I'm sure it's being done all the time like that.

A DAW removes the need or restrictions of the linear approach to recording...but I think that also muddies the water, and people with limited experience think they need to be doing everything all at once, and they're bouncing all over the place...tracking, editing/mixing and "mastering" without using a more defined 3-step process....which is the way I've always viewed it.

I think that's mostly because DAWs have made the tracking, mixing, mastering processes feel like one.
I think a lot of people are applying all kinds of FX/Processing as they track/edit....

True, so they often don't hear what they actually captured until its too late. I know I used to set up a session and think "ok, track 3 will be male vocals" so I found the "Male Vocals" channel setup and tracked through it. Later I was pretty much stuck with those plug ins because the naked track sucked. Thus more plug ins to "fix" it. Oy.

I track and mix on two seperate programmes which helps differentiate what process is being done...there is nothing wrong with mixing as you go but there's definitely something to be said in keeping the processes apart..certainly helped me improve quicker...

also if your bouncing down to audio you can somnetimes lose track of what effects have been added and that can make mixing a much harder job..

Hi,

I'm just starting out, got all my tracks recorded with GarageBand,
now I need mix.

Can anyone recommend me a "Mixing for Dummies" kind of site, for starters like me?

I know the basics: volume/pan for location, EQ to remove mush, comp to thicken things up, and reverb for airyness.

So I need a real how-to, techniques, 1-2-3 kind of stuff, not just general ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Hi sleejay80,

There are some tricks and tips that can help you, like using groups, and mixing at a low volume, and comparing to other productions.

I have a tips and tips page on my web with free tips and tricks for mixing and recording.
Maybe you will find something of interest there, it's mostly compiled from answers I've given to customers:

Tips and Tricks for Mixing and Recording, at NFL Produksjoner, Norway

- Njal

Back