Mixing Drums

punkin said:
Turn off all the other mics...just use the OH's. You should get most of the kit sound with the OH's and, it should sound good when done properly. What is your set up for the OH's...X/Y or other?

Only after you get a good sounding over-head only set up, would I suggest adding the extra snare(s), then the kick and then the tom mics.

No always true. Think Metal.

OK Now that you have heard how everyone else "thinks" you should do it. And how THEY do it so it must be right. I will actually attempt to answer your question:

The delaying, chorusing effect is because every mic has a different distance from the source of the sound. What software are you recording into? If you are using a decent software (ala, pro tools, sonor, cubase, etc) you can literally drag the tracks into alignment. Zoom in really far so you can see the definate peaks of the snare/kick. Then simply drag the overheads to where the initial snare mic, and kick mic peaks are. Also VERY important check ALL phasing on ALL mics. when running alot of mics as you are they tend to somehow invert phase from each other. Reverse the phase on each track and see if it gets better or worse sounding. I bye rule of thumb always reverse the phase on the kick from the rest of the kit just to help it cancel itself from the other mics so it has more impact and doesn't get muddy. Ignore the (2 overheads and a kick mic is all you need) comments, I get some amazing sounding drum tracks "envied bye most of the studio guys in town if I may be so bold as to boast" and I use 10-15 mics on a 6 piece kit. If you think Zepplins drum sound came from a kick mic and 2 overheads? think again. Hope this helps let me know, Dan

A drum kit is a single instrument with a wide nearfield. Any more than 4 mics on one kit is only necessary under two conditions: 1) if the drummer needs assistance in post production to sound good because he's otherwise only a mediocre drummer who can't hit toms and snars and cymbals (oh my) simultaneously with the touch needed by a good drummer, or 2) if the producer/engineer wants to do heavy special effects or unnatural panning discretely on individual elements of the drum kit.

The acid test: If one can stand a few feet in front of the drum kit - or in front of the stage - and think the drums sound good with their two ears, then there is really no need for more than two electronic "ears" to make them sound good on a recording either.

G.

Hollowdan said:
OK Now that you have heard how everyone else "thinks" you should do it. And how THEY do it so it must be right. I will actually attempt to answer your question:

Hum? little arrogant?

Hey jmorris, did not mean to insult anyone at all, I apologize if it came out that way. It just seemed that "most" I will not say "all" because I do not want to "Accuse" or "degrade" anyone. but "most" replies told him to forget everything about how HE wants to do it and told him to do it "their" way. He made a post asking for suggestions to how to make what HE wants to do work for him. He did not ask how to record drums. He simply asked, how to make his mix of the drums he recorded the way he wanted too, come out better. I think arrogant would be if I had told him he recorded it WRONG because he used too many mic's. I gave a reply to try and help him with doing it HIS way. I did not give an "arrogant" - "MY way is the way you SHOULD do it" speech. I use many mic's on a drum set and get great sounding recordings in my opinion. Alex van halen's drum sound is more than 4 mic's, led zepplins drum sound is more than 4 mic's, I am not sure I have ever heard a platinum album recorded with only 4 mic's on the drums. All the great drum sounds of our time were recorded using many mic's. The few producers I have heard of using 3 or 4 mics on a drum set, I must add were using 3 or 4 NEUMANN U67 and U47's. Yeah give me 4 U67's and I will record drums with 4 mics and make it sound good too lol. So I apologize if I came off as rude, arrogant, or whatever else. I am new here (last night was my first night on here actually) I meant no insult's to anyone at all. I would like to meet some friends and exchange useful information and cool tricks with. The best thing about this recording thing is that there are no RULES and there is no RIGHT or WRONG way to do it. It is all just trying things and seeing how they work. So let's not argue let's have fun with this recording thing and try our best to help each other out. Everyone can teach you something! I hope even though my reply may have been taken out of context that it helped a little bit at least.

Hollowdan said:
"most" replies told him to forget everything about how HE wants to do it and told him to do it "their" way. He made a post asking for suggestions to how to make what HE wants to do work for him. He did not ask how to record drums. He simply asked, how to make his mix of the drums he recorded the way he wanted too, come out better.
Actually, the only semblance of a question in his post was "any thoughts".
jazzbass12 said:
My OH are picking up too much of the whole kit..

Any thoughts??

I was thinking that overheads are usually used for capturing the sound of the whole kit.

Right now I'm thinking how badly I want a heaping bowl of Rocky Road ice cream.

Hollowdan,

I understand. :) It was a bit arrogant "looking". but you have explained yourself nicely and I commend you.( not that I am being arrogant and have the right to commend anyone :p ). Good point about the NEUMANN mic's also.
Jim

Thanx for the understanding guy's

Funny thing about those nuemann U47's and U67's a blind, deaf man with no fingers can tweak a mix to sound amazing when using them lol.

Hollowdan said:
Thanx for the understanding guy's

Funny thing about those nuemann U47's and U67's a blind, deaf man with no fingers can tweak a mix to sound amazing when using them lol.
I'd love to try one.Don't have those myself.I do have a 1969 Neumann u87 I bought fromHit Factory when they closed...pretty cool.

Last edited:
Hey jazzbass,

I still say record it the way you want.
IF you decide to use the mic setup you posted, then time align the overheads to the snare track. It takes like 5 seconds in most software programs. pan everything to different amounts, with the overheads being the furthest to the sides. Pan everything while listening in MONO (trust me on this one you will see what I mean if you try it) If you still don't like the amount of other drums in the OH's then reverse the phase on the OH's that will phase cancel the drums out of them. The most important thing to do when you record a kit with overheads is to time align ALL the tracks to the snare track. Usually center the snare track/tracks and kick track/tracks, then narrow pan the toms and wide pan the OH's. Just give it a shot with your existing recording and see how it works. Hope this helps

P.S. you most likely won't catch Alan Parsons or Roger nichol's recording a drum set with only 4 mic's so why should the rest of us?

jmorris said:
Here is a sample of a very openly miced drum kit.It a jazz band I recorded live in a club a few months back.It shows how the toms will cut through. It has yet to be properly mixed but you'll get the idea.The setup is 2 overheads and kick and snare just to supliment. I agree with everyone here that you will be suprised how nice a result you will get once your overheads are place where they should be.Go to this link and click on the music sample. The tune starts out with drums, then the band comes in. As they say sometimes less is more.

http://24tracklive.com/

Hey JMORRIS?
You aren't Jim Morris from Morrisound in Tampa are you?

jmorris said:
No, Im from upstate New York

I grew up in upstate NY I miss it!
Where ya at in upstate?
There is a studio in Tampa called Morrisound recording (one of the most popular death metal studios' Sepultera even recorded arise there)
You should check it out the owner's name is Jim Morris lol.

I typically resort to "simple is better"

I'd rather have a mix that sounds to open, than too tight and unnatural. We use a kick mic, 1 overhead, and maybe a snare mic. Compared to "pro" studios we've worked in where they had their entire mic cabinet on the drums, the natural, open sound is preferrable. That's how i would do it, if i were me, WHICH i am...

Hollowdan said:
I grew up in upstate NY I miss it!
Where ya at in upstate?
There is a studio in Tampa called Morrisound recording (one of the most popular death metal studios' Sepultera even recorded arise there)
You should check it out the owner's name is Jim Morris lol.
Rochester NY. I'll check out that studio!

Back