Mixing Down

I agree that it absolutely is about quality over quantity. In my opinion, the overall "cheapness" of digital recording has contributed much to the devaluing of recorded music in the eyes of the public overall. I would argue that it's not as much the digital medium itself per se that is the culprit; it's possible to get a natural sound with a high quality digital recorder, but digital recording and mixing via a computer seems to be what has really degraded the quality of recorded music in recent years.
This is something we can likely argue about forever, but I am convinced that improving the quality of recording adds tremendous value to the end product, and increasing the perceived value of recorded music is something I'm very passionate about right now... so, I'm ditching the computer rig I've used for over a decade and I'm collecting all the gear necessary to build my analog project studio.

The good news: digital recording technology has made it easy for anyone to write, record, and distribute music which you carry in your pocket.
The bad news: bacause it doesnt represent skill and effort and there is no scarcity, it no longer has any value.

well ive pulled the DAT out and given it another go. I think it far exceeds the Zoom in sound quality. Ive done some bounces on the zoom at 96khz 48bit and thrown it on the computer. Tonight ive bounced to DAT. The sound off the DAT sounds much warmer, cleaner, clearer, less digital than off the computer. I just have a feeling that the zoom is pretty shit - convenient though. JUst a mission to get the sounds onto my computer from DAT.

Depending on your sound card and DAT machine, you may be able to go from the DAT to the PC via teh S/PDIF cable. I've gone one further and have a audio capable DAT drive ont eh PC, with some freeware called dat2wav can extract the data from the tap.e But I live to make things more complex than necessary.

Back