Mixing down with the Zoom R16

1hdr4u

I've been doing home recording for about twenty years now and am fascinated by the new recording consoles that are available today. I own a Fostex VF160 16 track multi track recorder and have been happy with it, but lately have been thinking about upgrading. I like the ease of use of the VF160 with it's 16 independent faders for each separate track, but have been looking lately at the Zoom R16 or possibly the R24 as a possible upgrade. My question is, how can you mix down more than 8 tracks on the Zoom if it only has 8 faders? It seems to me that you'd have to mix or bounce any tracks that you have recorder that have gone past the first 8 tracks to utilize them, or is there some other way you can do it with the Zoom? If anyone already owns one, could you please enlighten me on how this is done since I am interested in purchasing one? Thanks.

They most likely have switchable fader groups: 1-8, 9 - 16 etc.. This only really works for mixing if the faders are motorised and can recall the last settings for the other bank... I don't believe that's the case for the Zoom units, at least the R16. There are many reviews out there that can give you more information on this, as can the manual and the Zoom site, I expect

Unless you have a specific reason to buy a standalone unit... don't... is my advice. The sun has set on them as the core of a project studio (IMHO) - I speak as someone who owned and used a Yamaha AW4416 for a decade, and they ddin't come much better than that. Go PC/Mac... and buy a control surface if you must have knobs to play with. It opens up an absolute world of editing / mixing / processing options that you simply don't get on these relatively el-cheapo standalone units.

Good luck:thumbs up:

Back