mixing down to what?

Eh?

I was reading somewhere how the Tascam DA 38 and 88 have to drop bits here and there because of how the digital info is stored on tape. Probably why I have always thought they sounded a little harsh, and more "digital" sounding then other digital recorders.

I like my Lynx One soundcard. http://www.lynxstudio.com

More bits. Unlimited upgrade possibilities on software. Can master on the computer. Burn CD's. Etc.....

Use that DA 88 as a door stop! :)

Ed

CDR

6 months ago I would have told you that a Minidisc recorder would be a good cost effective solution for mixdown,and it is,but CD recorders are getting cheaper,both internal PC units and stand alones like the Pioneer or Phillips.The only drag with those last 2 is that they use more expensive Consumer CD's and they implement SCMS which prevents making digital copies of your CD.I could have gotten the Pioneer for$320 but I got the Tascam CDRW-700 instead 'cause it's SCMS free.

Oops! But still....

I should read those damn Tascam numbers a little closer eh? :)

God, I remember doing demo's on a 388 in college. My Fostex X-26 4 track cassette had less noise then that big ol' beast.

In this case, you should use it as a table in the studio to place coffee cups on. Or, if you have cats, turn it on and it would make a nice warm bed for them to sleep on! :)

Seriously though, I just remember all the tape hiss, even with the noise reduction on on that unit.

The Lynx card would offer a much more quiet sound, more sound to noise ratio, better frequency responce. Plus, you can record HOURS of music on a hard drive that cost what a 40 min r/r would cost! Okay, maybe two tapes, but still.

Ed

ed
Thank you for making fun of my gear. That was not the point of the post. Yea, digital is great and all but that requires a new computer to handle it, learning the software etc. Les Claypool swears by his. A couple songs on his solo album were recorded on a 388, one song off Primus' Brown album was recorded on it. He and his buddies recorded the same song on adat and the 388 and friends and other industry folk liked the sound of the 388. What I'm tring to say is that you shouldn't slander people for what gear they have. So what if I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on recording equipment. Sorry to say this but you remind me of Fred Dirst of Limp Bizkit. Putting people down to bring yourself up.

Yo' Wally.......... I think Ed's just poking a bit of fun at ya... no need to get all serious-like............ with care you can get some reasonable results - but let's not kid ourselves - it ain't gonna be release-ready!! ;)

Anyways - you could go the DAT route, but there's almost no point anymore - for about the same price you could get a Masterlink (CD-R with on-board DSP)...

If you're on a budget, I suppose Minidisc is an option, but since it f*cks with the sound (it's a compressed format), I wouldn't bother........

You could always go with a high-end (Tascam 122 or something) cassette deck, but for the price, you may as well go digital...

Hmmm... I'm not being very helpful - too many options... it would help if you gave us an idea of what your budget is like.........

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

My budget is undecided at this time. Can I mix straight to cd-r? Every one I know mixes down to dat then to cd-r. Can I skip over the dat?

hi wally,yes you can record straight to cd-r and skip the Dat...and dont mind sonusman...he keeps comfusing this site for PROrecording dot com instead of HOMErecording dot com...besides,go look at his picture under his articles and you'll see why hes so pissed off

Pbass75 said:
...and dont mind sonusman...he keeps comfusing this site for PROrecording dot com instead of HOMErecording dot com...

Pretty rude PBass75, what's up with that??? HomeRecording.com or not, don't you think having one or more pro's opinion is a useful resource?? Judging from his posts (not to mention the website), Sonusman knows his sh*t and is a valuable source of information...

But, if you'd rather fight with your X26 on your own, and do things the hard way rather than learning from people who've already been there... go for it....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Wallycleaver said:
My budget is undecided at this time. Can I mix straight to cd-r? Every one I know mixes down to dat then to cd-r. Can I skip over the dat?

With a unit like the Alesis Masterlink, you can mix straight to CD-R - it burns RedBook audio... (check the Alesis site for more info - http://www.alesis.com) You could also mixdown to your computer with the appropriate software/cd-burner...

The costs of CD-Rs is pennies compared to the cost of DAT tapes - and there is no advantage to mixing to DAT over CD-R.

Like I said, I'd go for the Masterlink... I happen to have both, but I use DAT only when required by a client and the Masterlink 99.9% the rest of the time.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

me rude? it looks to me like you just got here...check around to see how he treats everyone like that before you call me rude...and i dont have a "x26" to fight with

Back