mixing down tascam porta07

indiefolk

I own a tascam porta o7 4-track and I use a shure sm58 microphone to record. I've built a website for my writings and poetry and would like to put my music up as well. My computer is pretty damn ancient(processor is 75 mhz) but so far works well for the internet (besides being really damn slow) and It won't recognize that the line in jack for audio exists as far as sound-I plugged in my four track into it before and could hear it ,but now it doesnt seem to work. How do I get my computer to recogize it? and or have my software be able to record the incoming sound.

I also would like to know if there is freeware on the internet that would run on my computer- I need a program with at least two tracks and sync as well as panning so I can mixdown my four track.

I've figured out a way to simulate stereo on my four track by leaving the monitor switch on remix and mixing down R and L seperately. You can also mix down simutaniously by purchasing a 1/4 inch to rca adaptor for the headphone jack and two rca to 1/4 inch adaptors plugged into two inputs which are designate as seperate tracks.

75 Mhz? Are you sure? Not 750Mhz?

If you mean 75Mhz, then there may be no hope for you, in recording with this computer.

If you mean 750Mhz, you're still okay. That's relatively modern.

========

Re: your computer recoginzing your LINE IN, maybe it's not selected, or maybe it's muted. Double click on the little speaker icon, in the taskbar. This should pop a full menu of Volume controls, and LINE should not be muted, or un-mute it, if it is.

Also, by selecting either "Advanced" or "Options", you can select the "record" side of level adjusments, which in most cases, are separate from "playback" level controls. Make sure, on the record side, that LINE IN is selected, and turned up to it's proper level.

That's in general, using the Windows "Volume Control". Remember, there's a "playback" side, and a "record" side of the "Volume Control" adjustments.

ok , well I found out that I have some how erased the monitor /mixing program on my computer. And yes my computer is 75mhz, I spend all my time playing guitar and working on music, writing philosophy,poetry etc. etc.
Is there a basic single track sound recorder? one that could just convert the analog to digital? 75 mhz is fast enough for that.
All my music is pretty "one man band" type stuff , I generally just play guitar and improvise on the general structure of the chords that are repeated to layer "instrumentation". Yeah people laugh at my computer, but I've spent all my grocery money on my gear.

If it works for you, ok, stick with it.

I can't recommend anything that I'd be sure would work with your 75mhz computer.

I know you have the Porta07, but my best recommendation for upgrade, would be to get the new Tascam 424mkIII, on sale now at Guitar Center for $329.

When you find what works best with your 75mhz computer, maybe you could tell us, 'cause I don't think anyone around here knows!

/DA

Back